+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a trout stream!

Default I need a trout stream!

After joining this forum and hearing about people catching native trout out of undisturbet, unpollluted streams, I got a little sick of hatchery fish from a small litter-filled pond. I live 7 miles north of boston MA and there seems to be no trout streams around here. The only one I hear of people talking about is the swift river, which is a bit far if you dont have a car. Surly, there must be a stream closer? I know this has probably been asked 100 times but where are there trout streams around here. I Dont care if the trout are tiny or whatever, I just wanna catch a trout from a stream.

Well with my vast knowlesge of water systems around my area, I think I would know if there were a trout stream near by. I was thinking maybe like with a 10 mile radius. Around here, I stream that is a small enough to jump across would not survive. It would either be filled in or trashed to a point where nothing could live in it.

Anthony, try looking [url=http://170.63.97.68/dfwele/dfw/dfw_trout_waters.htm:6a021]here[/url:6a021] for some stocked waters.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Anthony,

I sent you an email with the info for a friend who is Angler Education Coordinator for Mass WildLife. Make sure you email him with your question.

jed

Anthony,

I also grew up outside of Boston and loved to fish ever since I was a small child. Whenever I found a spot to fish, usually a small pond, I would explore the feeder stream and follow it up a ways. Even with a small 3-4 foot wide stream, I often found beaver ponds or other great fishing spots that had little or no fishing pressure. This is especially true of a pond that is stocked. The trout will move around and they will also follow the stream up. Just an idea. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Jim Smith

Jeb, I sent him an email

James, do you recall any of the ponds that had feeder creeks with fish in them?

Anthony, do you really want James to post that answer here for tens of thousands of people to read? If I live near one of those tiny streams and he posted its name here, I'd be less than pleased.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Your problem is you don't have a car. Buy one and go where you want to.

If you can't be with the fish you love to fish, fish the fish that are where you are, it is still fishing. I love fishing trout, but I also enjoy fly angling for panfish and bass. Northern Pike, and Muskies are are a little more tricky, but they are available also, but when you catch one it is a blast. Which reminds me of an old song which explains it all...

You can't rollerskate in a Buffalo Herd
    But you can be happy if you want too!

You can't take a shower in a parakeet cage

You can't go swimming in a baseball pool

~Parnelli

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 08 May 2006).]

Hi Anthony,

There certainly are trout streams around Boston. Try "An Angler's Guide to Trout Fishing in Massachusetts" for some of the better known streams. You can also look through the maps and info in DeLorme's "Massachusetts Guide & Gazetteer" and do some exploring.

Not owning a car doesn't absolutly prevent you from getting to a trout stream around here. I have a friend who has lived in Boston for years and doesn't own a car. He either bums a ride from one of his buddies, or rents a car for the day. The MBTA's Commuter Rail can also get you close.

Have fun!

Karl

------------------
    Bach Trout

Wishin' I were fishin' . . . .

+ Reply to Thread