+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: October Caddis

Some nice patterns! If I can I'd like to hit West Canada Creek, There's a great October Caddis hatch there. Also a blizzard White fly hatch right now.

I came up with a hybrid this afternoon - a cross between the FEB October Caddis from a couple years ago and the Crooked Fork Creek OC from last year. If it catches fishies, I'll post some pix and a recipe. It it doesn't, I'll delete this post !!
    The fish are always right.

Lightbulb The fishing was so slow ...

... yesterday on the Selway and Lochsa ( for me, at least ) that the initial field testing of the FEB OC 2.0 was inconclusive. It did catch a fish but over the course of the day I used up my supply ( gave one to VEE, lost one on the Selway, and mangled the last one on the Lochsa ) before taking a pic of the fly.

Will tie up another batch, and if the fly continues to produce, will post some pix and a recipe. Talked about a couple alternatives to finishing the fly ( spun deer hair head or deer hair bullethead ) with Vickie. She might come up with a version of her own.

John

P.S. In a couple days on the Selway, REE and VEE have not seen any October Caddis. I fished the 2.0 for a while with no response from the critics, after picking up several cutts there on an FEB Hopper and a 16" fishy on a dropper. On the way home from Lowell, I fished the upper Lochsa for a while and saw a couple of the big caddis and finally got this little guy on one of the Lochsa tribs.

Arrow Going out on a limb ...

... with this one since I haven't fished it yet. But, it is based on a couple very successful flies and I do have a lot of confidence that this will become my best October Caddis dry fly.

The FEB OC 2.0

Should be getting out in the next couple days to field test this one. Will post the results, one way or the other.

John

John,

Nice fly; you use a MFC 7002/Dai Riki 270? Sub dark elk/deer on the head and tie it on a bigger piece of iron and that would make a quality salmonfly pattern. Hope you put a SBS together some time.

Regards,
    Scott

Nice work Gents!!! Was looking for something along these lines. Want to make a few modifications for some steelhead and bull trout.
    Born to fish, Forced to Work!

Please deliver me to the weekend!

Question A what ...

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    John,

Nice fly; you use a MFC 7002/Dai Riki 270? Sub dark elk/deer on the head and tie it on a bigger piece of iron and that would make a quality salmonfly pattern. Hope you put a SBS together some time.

Regards,
    Scott
    ... refering to "a SBS" ??

The hook is a Tiemco 2312, size 12. This is a straight eye 1X fine 2X long slightly curved shank hook in bronze. I picked it more because of the 1X fine aspect ( less hook weight to float ) than any other characteristics, although I do like the straight eye feature. I've gone through a bunch of them tying FEB Hoppers this summer !! The size 8 does nicely for the salmonfly version of the FEB.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    ... refering to "a SBS" ??
    Step-by-step.

Smile Fished the FEB OC 2.0 ...

... this afternoon on the Lochsa. Conditions are getting tough. The water is low and slow - lots of the good holes have disappeared, and a lot of the fishies have headed on downstream to more favorable conditions.

Nevertheless, on the second cast, fishing the water, this guy approved of the 2.0.

A little while later, this guy showed himself taking a natural in a nice little pocket about 40' out. Timed him, one cast about 5' above his position, a short drift, and got a very aggressive take.

Had another cutt in another run hit the fly very aggressively. The pic on that one is kind of blurred so it doesn't make the cut.

I also fished a new OC pupa pattern that I came up with this morning. ( Thanks for the motivation, Scott. ) Only caught one fish with it, but it was the same fish shown in the first pic, about 38 minutes later !!

I'll get together a step by step on both flies shortly.

John
    Last edited by JohnScott; 09-27-2011 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    John,

Some nice fish there; looks like a heron or an osprey had a hold on him

I'll get together a step by step on both flies shortly.

John
    Look forward to seeing them.

Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread