+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FROM CATCH AND RELEASE TO THE PAN - Whip Finish - September 12, 2011

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default FROM CATCH AND RELEASE TO THE PAN - Whip Finish - September 12, 2011

FROM CATCH AND RELEASE TO THE PAN

A recent event on a local trout stream caused me to sit back and look hard at the current culture of fly fishermen that are out there wading our waters these days. It was both eye-opening and saddening, to say the least. I was fortunate enough to get on some water with a Saturday evening escape of honey-do's and family obligations so I chose to visit some nearby water at one of the popular easy-access points.

I rarely keep any bass unless I can tell that they will not make it.
    I do find some deadc fish in a few ponds that I fish.
    People tell me that all the fish that they release live.
    Never have asked the question of how long the fish live?

Rick

Good article. I am one of those who does not properly know how to prepare a fish, which is one reason why I practice catch and release, although even if I knew I would still catch and release most of my fish anyway. So I ask in all seriousness and sincerity, where is a good place to learn about how to take care of a fish that you intend to bring home to cook?

TIA,
    Paul

Very well said sir. Learning how to clean and prepare our fish is part of keeping us in touch. I practice catch and release but am offered fish by those that choose to kill a few and truly enjoy them. It is not in my nature to kill but when I have mortally wounded a fish will prepare it with the utmost of care and reverence, then enjoy every tasty bit.

Bikebum

Gandolf, Google "Cleaning trout", and you will get at least 12 video's. many similar, but many with their own twists. do the same for "Cooking Trout" and the list gets even larger.

While I'm not attempting in any way to suggest that folks should keep rather than release their fish. Folks should know the signs of a mortally wounded fish. The one obvious sign is when a fish is bleeding from the gills, it will not survive. It may swim off from your hand, but it will die. For them, that is an open chest wound with a punctured lung. Personally, we owe it to th fish as good stewards to kill and eat that fish. My personal rule of thumb (And this is from personal experience, not a scientific study), is if after 10 minutes of reviving a fish, it still cannot right itself, or is still gasping, it's going to die. To do otherwise is no different than saying "Oh, this one's gonna die, and throwing it up on the bank." Same result. You killed it, and gave it to the raccoons.

Simply a fantastic article! I've seen the same thing here in my little neck of the woods, and on discussion boards from all over. If it's out of respect for the species that we catch and release, maybe we shouldn't catch. That way we could be sure we don't harm them. I release all the fish I catch in fresh water because I want to catch them again unless they aren't going to make it. I've got an Aunt who has a standing order for fresh trout from me, but if I'm saltwater fishing and I catch a nice flounder....I'm eatin him! Conservation is king, but remember the damage we do simply by catching them. Just my 2c worth.

+ Reply to Thread