+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GETTING STARTED WITH SPEY CASTING - Eye of the Guide - September 12, 2011

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default GETTING STARTED WITH SPEY CASTING - Eye of the Guide - September 12, 2011

GETTING STARTED WITH SPEY CASTING

Perhaps you're in the same fly casting bind I was in. You often don't have enough room to make back casts, and at your age casting a 7-weight fly rod for three or four hours leaves you exhausted and sore. Spey casting, you read, will save you a lot of energy and ibuprofen.

I enjoyed the article. I find spey casting to be much more involved (read frustrating). I got started a couple of years back with the help of some of the folks here and the website speypages, namely Poppy. This article is very helpful, especially to those just beginning. For me understanding the line system was, and still at times is, confusing.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Yes, I am in the same boat as Tyronefly, been two handed casting for a couple of years and it took me a fair while to work out what I was doing!
    Great article, I am sure it will help anyone getting in to spey save a bit of time and confusion.
    All the best.
    Mike

I've considered trying spey equipment/techniques in order to get ultra long casts that are sometimes needed when chasing after white bass & wipers.
    This article is well-written, and will be a great resource to check back with when I actually get around to purchasing appropriate gear. Thank you!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Thanks so much for your kind comments. I'm so pleased you found my article helpful.
    Randy

+ Reply to Thread