I have always been told that when a storm comes in "with lightning" to get off the water asap. Yet I have never seen lightning strike the water in a lake. I know a couple of people were killed up here 2-3 years ago. Sadly young men fishing a lake. They ran and stood under a tree.....and guess what the lightning struck....THE TREE. (I realize some of that advice is aimed at the whitecaps that can swamp a boat, especially a low flying jon boat, and to get off the water quick. My bigger fiberglass boat isn't going to have that much trouble with the whitecaps I don't think)

I have never heard of a lightning striking a fishing boat on the water. Not sure what causes lightning to pick a target and short to mother earth. Water is a conductor....but lightning doesn't seem to just short to all the plentiful water in a lake.

I know lightning strkes commercial airplanes all the time and they are built to withstand it. That is one phenomena I don't really understand as lightning is generally electric charge looking for a path to mother earth.....ie ground.

So my question is this. I would think it would be dangerous to be fishing with a graphite fly rod in an aluminum boat on the water during the lightning phase of a storm.

Would it be dangerous.....or providing a path....since lightning doesn't seem to short to the water in a lake......would fishing with a "fiberglass fly rod" from a "fiberglass boat" be dangerous....or much safer? I don't see that as providing a path for an atmosphere discharge to tierra firma.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Sometimes a storm comes up here when you are on the water....and it will soon pass and then be a great time to commence fishing again. Just anchoring and waiting out the storm....or even fishing during said storm....is that foolish?