+ Reply to Thread

Thread: St Croix discontinuing Legend Ultra series

Hybrid View

Default St Croix discontinuing Legend Ultra series

I just went out to their website (which has been updated for 2012) and it appears that they will no longer be selling the Legend Ultra series. Which is a darn shame. But I guess they know what they are doing.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Dave,
    That's not a bad thing. The IPC Legend Ultras are no where near the same action as the old pre IPC LUs. I love the pre IPCs, but sold my IPC LU shortly after I bought it. The action was noticeably softer(it was a 4wt as is one of my pre IPCs). I had good casters cast the 2 side by side & they agreed they shouldn't share the same model name. What I'm saying is that with a different "name" model, we'll know there has been a change. The current LUs & the LUs (pre IPC) only share the name & that can be confusing.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Ive never owned one or fished one. Perhaps some good deals can be found now on eBay and such. I wonder what they plan to replace it with??

I never had the opportunity to cast the pre IPC but I love my 9' 6wt that has it. I am not sure if the Bob Clouser 8wt is IPC or not. I don't think so, but that action is a bit different from the normal Legend Ultra.

As far as what they are replacing it with I don't think they are. They have a new rod out called the High Stick Drifer, which I think is a specialty nymphing rod. As far as their standard rods they will offer the Legend Elite, Avid (which has been changed to a more moderate action) Imperial and Rio Santo. They also have the Bank Robber, which is a Kelly Gallup designed big fly/streamer rod.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

For power, I love my IPC Ultra Legend. It's a great rod for bass fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by anglerdave View Post
    As far as what they are replacing it with I don't think they are. As far as their standard rods they will offer the ... Avid (which has been changed to a more moderate action).
    MORE moderate! I have an 8ft 4wt Avid which is moderate enough. I sold my 9ft 9wt Avid as too soft and have cast a 9ft 5wt Avid which was also too soft. (I also have a 2 LU - old style - and and Imperial.) My opinion is that for the Avid and Imperial they are both too wobbly when over 8ft long.

If LUs are going to be on sale as discontinued, I would recommend seeing if you like them. IMO the 9ft 5wt is excellent, but the 7wt is a tad heavy in the hand on long casts - but for steelhead it is perfect as we don't cast far for them here in Ontario.

+ Reply to Thread