+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FINALLY A PLACE TO FISH

Default FINALLY A PLACE TO FISH

The sierras are finally open again, some would say, why wait for the opener to fish? look at the attached link [url=http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ca/nwis/rt:967ff]http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ca/nwis/rt[/url:967ff]
    you see that open area without any squeegly lines, (steams and lakes), i live in the middle of that. so when sierras open, it's a big deal for me. i'm just getting started in this ff adventure and look forward to a good time. i have gotten to where i can get within a few feet of the sprinkler head in the back yard (30yds)4 out of 5, now it's time to put it to the real test.
    i need some info from you full timers. i'll be fishing from a pontoon at crowley lake. i was told the midge is the ticket trailing a streamer. question, how far back and what kind of action do i put on it?i have a wf sink tip line on a cabelas starter set up.
    i'm going up thur for a long weekend, hope to have some pics for you guys. thanks

Hi Lars,
    Good for you - it's time! Check out our
    Lakes/Stillwaters section, listed on the left hand menu under FEATURES. Lots of help on how to fish lakes.
    This is a good one to start with: [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/lakes/part3.html:335ec]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/lakes/part3.html[/url:335ec]

[This message has been edited by LadyFisher (edited 01 May 2006).]

ladyfisher, thank you for your responce. i did go back to the articles that i have read several times and came to the conclution that the only way to actually learn is to get out and get wet. i got back from crowely on sunday, purfect weather and conditons were right for tubing.
    i saw several tubers midging and they wre getting hits, but to me that type of jigging is boring to say the least. so i opt to just kick around in about a football field size peace of water. trolling with a wolly bugger at about 50 ft out. in the two days out on the water, i netted a dozen +/- nice size and had uncountable hook ups that got off right at the toon, (using barbless). all i can say now is, wow, what a trip. i'm going back up in a few weeks for some more, what a rush.

lars,
    That's great...tubing is a great way to fish...I would suggest you may want to learn and try the various stripping retrieves when tubing stillwaters....it should make it even more interesting.

I don't know how much the retrieves are covered here on FAOL but if they aren't Denny Rickards writes,talks,and has videos....

Minnesota's Lake Fishing Opener is this weekend, just in time, so all the anglers will be on the lake Trolling Trolling Trolling for WALLEYE! Leaving Mother home alone on Mother's Day.

Bass Season does not open until Memorial Day Weekend. And the water does not get warm enough for serious tubing until the middle of June.

Starting Monday (let the amatures have the weekend crowd, I will be fishing when everyone else is back at work), I will be doing some shore fishing.

I could have been fly fishing for panfish, but I refuse to fish for panfish on their spawning beds.

Monday is my fly fishing opener....

------------------
    ~ Parnelli
    Chartered Member of "Friends of FAOL"!

You can't rollerskate in a Buffalo Herd
    But you can be happy if you want too!

You can't take a shower in a Parakeet Cage

You can't go swimming in a Baseball Pool

Doo Doo Doo Doo Dooten Doo Duh Doo Doo Doo!

------------------
    Lew
    They're just fish, right? Right?

+ Reply to Thread