+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Strike indicators...yes or no?

Hybrid View

Default Strike indicators...yes or no?

This question is for mid-size/ small rivers-streams-spring creeks.
    Usually I don't use s-i. in small waters but I was wondering if I lose strikes without them.
    Do you use strike indicators there? In the first case, which ones?
    Thanks in advance folks,
    R.

I'm alsol struggling with your question.

Right now, my decision depends on a lot of things. If I'm fishing shallow, faster water and I'm using a tight-line fishing technique - Brooks/Czech method, direct upstream nymphing - I don't use an indicator. When I'm fishing deeper water and I don't think I'll see a strike and/or I'm using slack line techniques - high sticking - I'll use an indicator.

One problem I now realize I've been having is that I've been using a lot of slack-line casts and I've had so much slack in my leaders that often when I got a strike I didn't know it. Also, in faster, shallower water I've been too concerned with drag. Now, I believe that often trout don't have time to inspect a nymph that dragging slightly too fast, so I'll go with tight-line nymphing and not use an indicator, especially when I want to my nymph to mimic an insect rising to the surface.

I find floating indicators very helpful when I want to prevent my fly from getting hung up on the bottom. (The nymph should be close to the bottom but not on the bottom.) Also, when I'm moving around on a stream and fishing water of varying depths I simply move the indicator. I think that's much easier than adding or subtracting weight from my leader.

This previous post might be helpful:
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...hingamabobbers

Finally, I believe sometimes there is no clear-cut answer.

Randy

3. Default

You also might try using a loop knot to attach your nymphs. It gives the bug more natural action
    Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    I'm alsol struggling with your question.

Right now, my decision depends on a lot of things. If I'm fishing shallow, faster water and I'm using a tight-line fishing technique - Brooks/Czech method, direct upstream nymphing - I don't use an indicator. When I'm fishing deeper water and I don't think I'll see a strike and/or I'm using slack line techniques - high sticking - I'll use an indicator.

One problem I now realize I've been having is that I've been using a lot of slack-line casts and I've had so much slack in my leaders that often when I got a strike I didn't know it. Also, in faster, shallower water I've been too concerned with drag. Now, I believe that often trout don't have time to inspect a nymph that dragging slightly too fast, so I'll go with tight-line nymphing and not use an indicator, especially when I want to my nymph to mimic an insect rising to the surface.

I find floating indicators very helpful when I want to prevent my fly from getting hung up on the bottom. (The nymph should be close to the bottom but not on the bottom.) Also, when I'm moving around on a stream and fishing water of varying depths I simply move the indicator. I think that's much easier than adding or subtracting weight from my leader.

This previous post might be helpful:
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...hingamabobbers

Finally, I believe sometimes there is no clear-cut answer.

Randy

On small streams, I fish both ways, sometimes high sticking without an indicator and sometimes dead drifting under an indicator. Many times I'll do both, meaining I'll have the smallest size Thingamobber on (in white, because I like to think it has a shot at resembling a foam bubble to a finicky fish), and I'll utilize that for deeper water or drifts that are further away from me, but then I can still high stick in shallower areas by just lifting the indicator off the water and leading the nymph(s) through the run the same as I would if I didn't have an indicator on the line.

In small to medium streams I use a Dry fly as an indicator, it works very well and sometimes the fish decide the "indicator" looks tasty!
    If the pool is very deep I will use two nymphs and a small adjustable tuft of yarn as an indicator.
    All the best.
    Mike

Blog Entries

I agree with Mike's first sentence. I don't generally fish very deep pools that aren't very long and rate a re-rig.

Ed
    Last edited by EdD; 09-09-2011 at 05:59 PM.

I do if it's over knee deep and "riffley". Half Palsa foamies usually. I've got some Thing-a-ma-bobbers to try out in the next few weeks.
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

+ Reply to Thread