Thread: Another red worm

Threaded View

Lightbulb Another red worm

In the latest issue the Fly tier magazine there is an extensive article about Viadi Worms starting on pg. 80. I tied some with variations, and the last one looks good. I prepared the hook and lead wire weighting as described in the article but used heavy red thread LEAVING A LONG TAG END. I didn't use the pink condom as prescribed in the article but used a strip of red latex cut from the long strip provided by my physical therapist for home exercising following my episode with rotator cuff problems.
    I tied in the red latex strip, cut 1/8 inch wide, at the eye and simply wound it on flat from the eye to beyond the hook bend and then back to the eye, tying it off at the eye. I then simply used the tag end of thread, that I left hanging, as a rib to provide the segmentation. I finally added a coat of Softex.
    How simple could it be?
    This design seems to have a neat history, being a relative of a San Juan Worm, Fred Bridge's Infamour Pink Worm and a Clouser Minnow feature.
    As the article suggests, the lead wire located at the added at the special bend area on the 6XL hook actually caused the fly to sink ?hook-point-up? when dropped into a tall glass of water to demonstrate its resistance to getting snagged on the stream bottom.
    Last edited by Ray Kunz; 09-06-2011 at 11:13 AM.