Boy, that's a mouthful.

Yes, it is.

This past summer I had an idea for a yellow sally, a pattern that had a bit of weight that needed to be fished dry. Rather than a straight hackle or straight parachute approach, I decided to combine the two for a 9DH, read 90 degree hackle, effect. Only fished that fly a couple times, but it caught fish both times.

The FEB drake which I've tied in the past also has a bit of weight to it. So I decided to use the 9DH technique to improve floatation. Had the opportunity to try it yesterday. Caught several fishies with it.

Hard to believe that I've never seen this technique demonstrated before, but I haven't. Not to say that others haven't been using it for who knows how long ?? Just to say that it hasn't been published in any material on fly tying that I've seen.

The technique is obviously very simple - do the parachute and then instead of tying the hackle off on the post or on the shank, wrap the hackle forward several turns ahead of the parachute then tie it off. ( I wind hackle on parachute flies counterclockwise, which makes this technique very easy. I suppose it would be as simple when winding hackle clockwise ? )

Besides improving floatation, the technique has the added benefit of getting some "leggy" stuff down at the front of the fly.

John

Bottom line is that a number of fish approved, and ...