+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Airflo Sniper lines???

Default Airflo Sniper lines???

Fishing the California Delta for stripers, I've enjoyed using the Airflo Ridge running line with a T-14 head for my sinking set up. The Ridge running line has been easier handling. I swear its low stretch properties have increased my hookups when the linesides aren't just slamming the fly.

For intermediate & floating lines, I've been using the Rio Outbound Short in 8wt (330gr), 9wt (375gr) & 10wt (425gr). As I'm sure you're aware, the OBS come already upline by two or so from Rio.

I'm interested in trying out the Airflo Sniper lines but I can't seem to find information on the head weight. I'd hate to buy the 9wt thinking it was uplined, like the OBS, only to find it is a 'true 9wt'. I've seen pictures of the boxes on retail sites but they don't list the weights on the boxes. I've been to the Rajeff Sports website as well as the Airflo website. I can't seem to find any info on line weights. Does anybody have information on the head weights of these lines?

Thanks

PS If it wasn't the holiday weekend, I could give Rajeff a call....
    Last edited by civicrr; 09-04-2011 at 12:17 AM.

You do not up-line an Airflo 40+ or Sniper line! The Sniper is a condensed head length version of the 40+. the 40+ has a head length of 35'. The Sniper is still over 30' with 15' of rear taper. That's the only difference. I will say it again: you do not want to try over-lining these. It is neither necessary, nor productive.

If you know of a shop that sells Airflo lines, they should have a catalog. The catalog contains a complete line spec chart. I can't find mine right now.
    Last edited by flyguy66; 09-04-2011 at 12:20 PM.

Thanks for the response.

As I said, I'm trying to find alternatives to the Rio Outbound Shorts. Since the OBS is a integrated shooting head, I need to figure out what weight Sniper corresponds to what weight OBS. It is my intent to use the Sniper as a integrated shooting head line.

I have read/saved the pdf catalog (http://www.airflofishing.com/templat...ealer-2011.pdf) available off of the Airflo site. Unfortunately, it doesn't have any wt/gr info for either the 40+ or Sniper. Does the print dealer catalog have more info?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure it does, yeah.

The 40+/Sniper IS an integrated shooting head line. You may not want to cling so tightly to those Rio lines when trying to decide which Airflo line to buy. But the best advice I can give you is to hold off until after the holiday weekend and call Rajeff next week and talk to them about your applications and desires. Then take their advice.

Thanks again. I appreciate the advice.

FYI, I just got off the phone with Rajeff Sports. Below are the head weights for the Sniper lines as well as the new Bass/Musky lines.

Sniper
    8wt 315gr
    9wt 375gr
    10 wt 425gr
    Their advice when moving from OBS to Sniper was to use the same line wt. eg If using a 9wt OBS, use a 9wt Sniper.

Bass/Musky
    6wt 175gr
    7wt 200gr
    8wt 225gr
    9wt 260gr
    10wt 305gr

I was also informed that they are working on updating the website. Once done, this type of information will be listed. Hope that helps others with their line selection.
    Last edited by civicrr; 09-06-2011 at 05:59 PM.

+ Reply to Thread