+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cabela's Custom Glass Rod

I loaded up the Plueger 1492 reel that came in my combo today. I'm kind of disappointed in it, but maybe because I am not fond of being real traditional. (For example, I have a definite preference for indoor plumbing with running H/C water.)

No way to change it over to the left hand retrieve I use. Two settings for drag, but neither works for a left hand retrieve. Then again, I likely won't need drag for the fish this 3 weight targets --and there was a way of shutting off all drag. But you also can't add drag via palming. Thus I consider this reel somewhat below just winding line around a can.

Why did Cabela's send me backing? After nail knotting on the loop from an old leader so I could use loop to loop connections for future leaders, I did the usual backwards winding on of the fly line so I could figure out how much backing I needed to fill the reel. The answer was that 30 yards of 3-weight Sylk totally filled the spool. So that was a waste of time. I'm kind of surprised and disappointed that nobody at Cabela's figured that out.

Despite this complaining, I remain pleased with the value of the combo and will be looking for a chance to try it out on a small stream. It is very much of a specialty rod and I appreciate Cabela's giving me a chance to have it at such a low price. But, next time around I'd just buy the rod for $99 and hit e-Bay for the rest.

Oldfrat,

I have that the pleasure several time of utilitizing the drag on my 3 wt. reel, the latest was last year when I flipped a small wooly bugger under a limb prosepcted for a blugill and encountered a nice channel cat. This led to a 15 minute discussion before his decided to come over to my floatube. I have land a couple of largemouth bass in the 6 lb. class with the same reel and rod. I was primarily fishing for bream each time. What you expect and what you get can be quite different. I have never needed the backing on the reel but there's a little bit there just in case.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I seem to have only three options, Jesse, and it is making me crazy.

I can set up this briefly re-issued Pleuger 1492 for a right hand retrieve and set it up for low drag. (The high drag setting is ridiculously high for a small stream rod. More like lake trout/big bass drag.)

I can use it with no drag and hope that I can apply sufficient drag with my finger against the rod as the reel's rim can't be palmed.

I can find a small & cheap reel with left-hand retrieve or at least a rim that can be palmed. I was just surprised to find that an hour on e-Bay did not turn up such a reel.

If anybody has a suggestion on this, please jump in. Currently, I think I'll try the options in 2-1-3 order.

Brad-

I like the looks of the Ross Flystart as an inexpensive option. It sells new for around $50, and there's a slightly used one on eBay that can apparently be had for less.

Thanks! I just solved my dilemma by ordering a Medalist 1494. It is a little heavier than the 1492, but allows for left handed retrieval. I managed to get a new one for $27, including shipping.

I don't expect having to operate the reel in a fish fighting manner with the 5'9" willow branch, and just left the 1492 on it as God and Mr. Pflueger intended. However, if your 1492 is sitting there unused, feel free to drop it into the mail for me. I'll give it a good home, as the older model I have won't fit the silly reel seat.

Also, FWIW, an Ocean City 35 fits it quite nicely, which has an even more vulgar click check than the 1492 and is only left hand wind if you want to use the line guard, but it sure is a handsome little bugger.

And Ms. Fisher, thanks for teh kind words. You never know what I'm incapable of, and I'll eyeball up the requirements when I get some things taken care of shortly.
    Last edited by gfen; 09-06-2011 at 08:09 PM. Reason: share more greatness in less space wasted, coz that's how i roll

For those of you using this rod, what are you using as a leader? I'm wondering if a standard 7' leader might be too long for a 5'9" rod and if I should take a standard 7' leader and cut it way back or what?

gfen, you pay the postage and the 1492 reel is yours.

Thanks

You don't allow PMs, but if you hit me up at flibbertygibbets@yahoo.com and let me know to check it (I let the spambots harvest that one), I'll gladly respond to you.

I'd definatly take that boy off your hands for ya.

Blog Entries

Although this rod may be the exception, every rod of Cabelas that I have owned that was in the $100 class had really soft tiptops, that grooved rapidly with use. I recommend keeing an eye on it. Looks like an interesting rod, tho.

The rod comes with a very obvious hang tag proudly stating its made with Pac Bay guides.

I've used my 7/8 hard, and all on the beach...if its gonna groove, then that rod'll show it.

+ Reply to Thread