+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Book Value

Hybrid View

Default Book Value

I found in my collection, a 1st printing of John Atherton's "The Fly and The Fish." It's hard cover and used but in almost new condition. I believe it was published in 1951. I found one online for $125. Does that value seem right to you?
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Joe,

I've found first editions as low as $45 and as high as $600 for a slipped cased first edition with silver stamped lettering. Guess it sort of depends on which first edition you have, the collector's version or the blue collar guys edition. There are also paperback reprints available for as low as $2.95, plus shipping. If your thinking of selling, it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Blog Entries

This book was also reprinted Dec 15, 2006 and is available in paperback for short money

I believe you can get a recent printing in paperback for around $3.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Joe,

While the new reprints or print-on-demand books are certainly inexpensive, most have some drawbacks. I have a reprint of T.E. Pritt's Yorkshire Flies. The type face and language is wonderfully accurate, but the drawings of the flies look like little black blobs with black hackle. In a first edition copy of the book each fly is a hand colored exquisite little work of art, just beautiful to behold. I'd love to have a ist edition, but refuse to spend my daughter's inheritance on a book. Wait...it would be an investment for her future wouldn't it? With my luck the dog would eat it. First editions, like Coq de Leon necks, that have been through a dog's difestive tract aren't worth much.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Eagle Elk View Post
    Joe,

While the new reprints or print-on-demand books are certainly inexpensive, most have some drawbacks. I have a reprint of T.E. Pritt's Yorkshire Flies. The type face and language is wonderfully accurate, but the drawings of the flies look like little black blobs with black hackle. In a first edition copy of the book each fly is a hand colored exquisite little work of art, just beautiful to behold. I'd love to have a ist edition, but refuse to spend my daughter's inheritance on a book. Wait...it would be an investment for her future wouldn't it? With my luck the dog would eat it. First editions, like Coq de Leon necks, that have been through a dog's difestive tract aren't worth much.

REE
    Ron,
    If anything through a dog's digestive system is worth anything, I'd have a fortune in my back yard.

Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

+ Reply to Thread