+ Reply to Thread

Thread: people fish for Koi???

Default people fish for Koi???

I couldnt help noticing that someone mentioned that.
    My friend lives on a little pond that has some humungous bright orange, red, black Koi lazing around.
    Do i want to catch them on the fly?
    What would I use they seem to suck on the abundant algae that is all over the pond.

H*** yes you want to! Once you get enthused about stocking koi, it can be a very exciting experience. I havent really figured out what are good flies, but I can say that they may be eating things out of the algae, rather than the algae itself. Experiment around. You will soon find out if the koi wants to take your fly.

Dont think of them as a pet goldfish, rather as what they are: carp. Not in the same familt as carp, but they are the same fish species. Its like an african american person and an irish person. They are colored diferently but are both people obviously. Koi occur in the wild naturally and thrive in just about any water.

Good luck, and let us know how you do!

[This message has been edited by Jim Hatch (edited 07 May 2006).]

Oh, and if there is a lot of plants in the water, dont bother with anything weaker than a 0 or 1 x leader.

You may just have to reach down with a fly in your hand and let them take it. I had a koi pond and one time... the largest which we nicknamed "mop" would come like a pet dog and beg. You could feed him by hand. They were incredibly smart in how they reacted to people but somehow catching them on a fly just would not seem right to me. But I bet a wild koi would be an incredible gamefish.

Wild koi are very wary of people. A stealthy approach is necessary. In the same way that pet koi are trained to interact with people, wild koi have been trained to be wary since their bright colors make them easy pray

Koi are a type of Goldfish, Goldfish are a type of Carp. Carp are a type of fish, and if you use a fly rod, it is still fly angling.

Fly Angling is not fishing for a certain type of fish (excluding all other fish), nor is it about catching fish. Fly Angling is the opportunity to practice the art of casting a fly line, over open water, trying to fool a fish into taking your fly!

~Parnelli

+ Reply to Thread