I have read many places about Catch-n-release concerns and killing of animals to make flies.

Well the American Indian lived off of Nature they believed in balance and waste NOTHING. If they killed a Deer EVERYTHING got used for something.
Same goes for today....Conservation is for the same purpose....balance!
There is a big concern here in NY that the Deer population is getting outta hand due to way fewer hunters over the years.
Catch-n-release can have good and bad effects!
Most catch-n-release areas serve 2 purposes.
1 is that the Conservation Dept is studying the fish's habits in that area (Beaver Kill)
2 is to re-establish an area that was either ruined by pollutants or natural depletion.

Another example of Balance:
2 acre pond at my Dad's place has a ton of Bass in it! Last year I caught at least 4-5 5-6 pounders out of it and KEPT em.
It was getting to the point where there wasn't ANY small fish left. Crappie have about disappeared. Small Gills too! Not many had fished it in 2yrs.
This year I'll release what I catch.

There is a balance if it's done correctly.
In the proper areas keeping SOME and releasing some hasta be done.

Nothing wrong keeping a FEW to eat but not all and you can't always release everything you catch.
If the DOC designates a area catch-n-release only then they have a reason and it should be respected.
In other areas that's why there are LIMITS of how many you can keep. BALANCE.

I DO believe if a place gets fished to death....the DOC should CLOSE that area to fishing for at least 2 years to re-establish a balance. I know that Po's the "6 pack" fishermen but it's their own fault for not keep SOME and releasing others!

I studied Conservation and Nature over the years as I wanted to work for the DOC but my Dad talked me out of it. Said there was no $$ in it. BIG MISTAKE on my part!

------------------
Jim Bolden Sr

I caught a Fish so big once I couldn't weigh it.
Took a picture of it and the picture weighed 20LBS! (My Dad)

[This message has been edited by Battenkill Jim (edited 11 March 2005).]