The talk of ammonia brought back several unrelated memories; my Dad was a route salesman for a short period of time. One day when a large (I don't think there are any small ones)German shepherd was in way of him making a delivery he used household ammonia and a water gun. The dog was never a threat again. Today would have been my Dad's 90th birthday.

Your idea of pouring a perimeter of ammonia around a campsite, reminded me of bivouac in BCT at lovely Ft. Polk. I had the first hour's guard duty after we returned to the bivouac area and over heard a conservation between the Sr. Drill Sargeant and the young training officers, LT's. They were wanting to pop some tear gas on us during the night. The Sr. DI told them "Sir, we're in a valley, that stuff will hang in here. I can't tell you what to do, but if that stuff gets in my tent, I'll get you Sir." There was very little tear gas deployed that night.

When I was a kid, summer between 9th and 10th grade, I was working in a small grocery. Two of the the other kids working there were horsing around and broke a bottle of ammonia. No one entered the store for at least an hour. They were pitiful when the manager made them clean it up. I would not want ammonia around my tent. Deb's electric fence is the way to go if you insist on sleeping in a fabric structure. My idea of roughing it is staying at a old Holiday Inn.