+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wicker Creel

Default Wicker Creel

I am in need of some information about wicker creels. I have an older, "new" creel and it is very close to being given as a gift. I am not sure whether it should be stained and oiled or varnished. When I did the last one about 30+ years ago I believe I used wood stain and then a linseed oil mixture. If there are other options I would appreciate learning about them. I am not sure of whether this should be posted at this part of the forum. Thanks very much for the help with this request.

There is a wicker creel guru and restorationist member on the Classic Fly Rod Forum. Can't recall his username.
    You might wish to post your question there if it is unanswered here.
    Last edited by bobbyg; 08-25-2011 at 05:02 PM.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger4me View Post
    I am in need of some information about wicker creels. I have an older, "new" creel and it is very close to being given as a gift. I am not sure whether it should be stained and oiled or varnished. When I did the last one about 30+ years ago I believe I used wood stain and then a linseed oil mixture. If there are other options I would appreciate learning about them. I am not sure of whether this should be posted at this part of the forum. Thanks very much for the help with this request.
    The safest bet is just good wax... Bri-Wax or Renaissance Wax are the best.

Bri-Wax is my favorite http://www.briwax-online.com/origina...FQJigwodzSnmPA

But this one is extremely good, too. http://www.theruststore.com/Renaissa...FUcbQgodvHNBQA

I am a wood technologist and have spent more than a little time working with wood finishes in the lab and the real world. Oils will not add anything and may really much things up for you...
    art

+ Reply to Thread