Thread: Rarotonga and Aitutaki

Threaded View

Default Rarotonga and Aitutaki

Hi Guys, just back from the Cook Islands, 10 days in Raro and 4 days in Aitutaki. Did not do much fishing but in the few trips I did manage I got quite a few different species. I landed Trevally (bluefin), Cornet Fish, Flame Tailed Snapper, Peacock Grouper, Goatfish, Flounder, Puffer fish and lots of Rock cod, plus quite a few unknown (to me) species.
    I fished mostly on my own, but I did book a guide for one day in Aitutaki to take me Bonefishing. Well after all the planning, buying new gear etc I got to the meeting place with the guide an hour early as I was so excited I could not sleep. The guide did not turn up at all, all that effort and gear and getting to Aitutaki and he did not turn up! I should have known as when I bought my license the retailer asked who I booked with and when I told him he said "you should have booked with Itu, he is great"
    When the guide was not there after two and a half hours I got the closest resort to give him a ring, but sadly no answer!
    I trudged back to my resort, and to say the least was very disapointed! To cut a long story short the lady in reception said I will ring my husband and see what he is doing, his name is Itu and he is a guide!
    Itu picked me up and took me for my first "flats" fishing trip, it was fantastic, I landed one small Trevaly and had a shot at lots of Milk fish and briefly hooked a big Trevaly, lost I think due to my trout fishing style strike, not sure the hook ever got anywhere near to penetrating and fell out after about 20 seconds, I must remember to strip strike next time. Itu refused to accept any money for the afternoons fishing so I gave him a new Rio Tropical clear tip line and will send him some fly tying supplies as they are hard to come by in the cooks. What a great Guy and what a great spotter of fish he is.
    Anyway it was a great trip and I will write an article for FAOL with a few pics when I get a chance.
    All the best.
    Mike
    Last edited by Mike Thomas; 08-24-2011 at 04:44 AM.