+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: camping / survival knife

Hybrid View

Default camping / survival knife

So I've been looking around for a camping / survival knife. The other day i got my hands on my former first option which was the gerber lmf ii, it's a nice one but too massive and heavy so it's just out of the question.
    I got my eyes on the following:

Gerber Prodigy knife
    SOG Seal Pup Elite
    Cold Steel Bushcraft (bushman blade but it might be a bit too large, 7 inches, and I'm not sure if you can carry it when camping)

I'd like to hear some opinions. Thanks
    I believe I can fly fish

Send me your address and I will give you one of our camp tools to try...

If you like it keep it no cost...

Always be safe...
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Blog Entries

I've always liked the sog but I also have the super swiss army knife that has everthing http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/s...wisschamp-xavt as well as the one with the survival kit. http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/s...hamp-sos-set-1 Both are from the army.

NewTyer 1 Guest

Steve, good job with the camping tool. He will not be disappointed. I love mine and use id quite often. Hope all is well

I have a KA-BAR fixed blade, strait edge knife I like. Very sturdy knife good for many things.

Quote Originally Posted by Twism86 View Post
    I have a KA-BAR fixed blade, strait edge knife I like. Very sturdy knife good for many things.

Roger that! I have the U.S. Military Pilot's Survival version of that knife. If you are talking pure survival then a fixed blade, heavy blade, large handled knife like these is the only way to go. They do not weigh that much (your life is worth a few ounces more), they are far more easier than any folding knife to hang onto, the fixed blade will not fold up under heave use as even some locking folding blades will. The heavier blade allows you to chop down small trees, cut wire, pry and use the knife as a weapon without fear of the blade breaking. They also hold a decent edge.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlaineC View Post
    I've always liked the sog but I also have the super swiss army knife that has everthing http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/s...wisschamp-xavt as well as the one with the survival kit. http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/s...hamp-sos-set-1 Both are from the army.

Those aren't 'survivial knives'. They are tiny little tool chests.

Allan

I saw this thread yesterday and thought of the Kabar, as a pretty basic knife they are hard to improve upon. If you are leaning toward a Swiss Army type I have a lock blade with a saw and the usually screw drivers etc., that is pretty nice, similar to this. I am convinced the Victronix brand is superior to the Wenger brand. Both are official Swiss Army knives however.
    Swiss army knife.jpg
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

yes but theirs great other then that the kbar or the airforce fight knife

I have found the folding knives to be alright in less extreme conditions. Fair weather, don't need a fire, light duty like a day on the water. Indeed that is what I carry during the warmer small game hunting seasons. However, I have been hunting on many late season days when it is blustering, deadly cold and you have to remove your gloves to handle one of those smaller knives. They get slick in the cold, your hands can't grip them as well and you are on your way to frost bite. No thanks! You do not have to remove your gloves to pull the larger knife from the sheath or use it.

The folding blades are fine in fair weather but in tough, rugged, foul weather they just are not a match for the military survival knife be it the full size K-Bar or the shorter Pilot's K-Bar.

+ Reply to Thread