Thread: camping / survival knife

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Gigmaster View Post
    I don't know which one is 'best'. But I know what works best for me.

I have both my Marine-issue Kabar (which was actually made by Ontario Knifeworks), and my issue Navy Mark 4 Dive Knife, all from the early '70s. They are great outdoor knives, but my favorite is my Cold Steel Bushman. And, I also like my Cold Steel GI Tanto. Both are solid pieces of metal, with nothing to break or come loose. And I absolutely love my Cold Steel Canadian Belt Knife, so much that I carry it everywhere, and use it in the kitchen (as well as the Bushman...it's is a fantastic slicer, and Chef's Knife...).

If I absolutely had to pick just one knife to be in the boonies with (in a non-combat situation), it would be the Bushman. I've cut small trees down with it, and it would still slice a ripe tomato without squishing it. Now, that's a knife........ I can use the Bushman to slice bologna and ham so thin you can almost see through it. I've filleted fish with it (not as good as a fillet knife, but it did the job acceptably), dressed deer and hogs, cut foliage and trees, and used it as a spearhead, and it is still in as good a shape as the day I bought it, save for a few scratches on the blade. And you can sharpen it on any old flat rock, and it takes a very keen edge quickly. Mine is the original 1050 Carbon blade. I have heard they switched to some other steel for the new ones.

I also have a Cold Steel Mini-Bushman (discontinued for years) that is just as great as it big brother. For the price, Bushmans can't be beat.

Mini Bushman

A few of my other blades:

Thanks Gigmaster, you sure know your knives, I am now the proud owner of a Cold Steel Bushman, I got it today and I love it!
    Last edited by Martin McFly; 09-04-2011 at 06:09 PM.
    I believe I can fly fish