+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: camping / survival knife

Quote Originally Posted by texfly View Post
    For just an everyday useable and affordable outdoor knife I think the Mora is very hard to beat. I think even Cody Lundy carries one as a neck knife. They may not be stylish or be able to skin a crocodile but they work and they last. Just my two cents.
    Darn it, I was on my way to skin a croc good thing you mentioned that lol, the bushcraft forest is a nice looking knife even with the simple plastic sheath, I added a leg strap

I made the the 511 into a neck knife
    I believe I can fly fish

Martin, I've kept one of these in my pickup and one in my SUV for years. Great camping knife, but not just for camping.
    http://www.knifecountryusa.com/store...er-handle.html
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimsnarocks View Post
    Martin, I've kept one of these in my pickup and one in my SUV for years. Great camping knife, but not just for camping.
    http://www.knifecountryusa.com/store...er-handle.html
    So I take it is ok to carry a knife in you car here in CA, the only thing I know is that as long as it is not concealed you're ok. That's a nice knife.
    I believe I can fly fish

My recommendation would be for a Swamp Rat Knife Works "Ratmandu" (a sibling company of Busse Custom Knives). $139 plus shipping. Custom Leather or Kydex sheaths are available for an additional $50. It is just about the perfect bushcraft knife out there right now IMHO.

It is a full-tang 5 3/8" blade, 10 1/2" overall length, 0.189" thick, and weighing in at a nice 10 ounces. It is made from the Swamp's proprietary SR-101 steel (a special heat-treat of 52100 ball-bearing steel), which will take a scary sharp edge and hold it through some pretty BRUTAL work (google for reviews). They come with either canvas or paper micarta handles. Either way they're impervious to most chemicals. The only thing to be careful of is that 52100 is a carbon steel, so it will rust if not treated properly (one of the main reason for the usual powder coating on these blades).

They are currently out of stock (had some just a few days ago), however they are expecting more in very shortly.

Here are a couple of pictures of one where a member on Bladeforums stripped the blade coating and gave it a satin finish, then put a very nicely polished convex edge on it:

Last edited by CO_Flyfisher; 08-26-2011 at 12:58 AM.
    "Engineers don't idle well."

Texfly,

I think you mean Cody Lundin. Cody Lundy is a completely different sort of character.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Thanks for the correction Ron. Cody Lundin , the big guy with the long hair that insist on going everywhere bare foot. One tough guy.

Quote Originally Posted by CO_Flyfisher View Post
    My recommendation would be for a Swamp Rat Knife Works "Ratmandu" (a sibling company of Busse Custom Knives). $139 plus shipping. Custom Leather or Kydex sheaths are available for an additional $50. It is just about the perfect bushcraft knife out there right now IMHO.

It is a full-tang 5 3/8" blade, 10 1/2" overall length, 0.189" thick, and weighing in at a nice 10 ounces. It is made from the Swamp's proprietary SR-101 steel (a special heat-treat of 52100 ball-bearing steel), which will take a scary sharp edge and hold it through some pretty BRUTAL work (google for reviews). They come with either canvas or paper micarta handles. Either way they're impervious to most chemicals. The only thing to be careful of is that 52100 is a carbon steel, so it will rust if not treated properly (one of the main reason for the usual powder coating on these blades).

They are currently out of stock (had some just a few days ago), however they are expecting more in very shortly.

Here are a couple of pictures of one where a member on Bladeforums stripped the blade coating and gave it a satin finish, then put a very nicely polished convex edge on it:

Wow!! That is a mean looking knife!! Next thing you know I'll be throwing all my shoes away. lol. Thanks for the info CO_flyfisher.
    I believe I can fly fish

Blog Entries

I have a pair of puukko/leuku knives that I use for camping/hunting. They aren't necessarily survival knives in a military sense, but they are good tools for the outdoors. I did some work for a buddy, and when I wouldn't let him pay me, he gave me the combo. I am liking them more all of the time.

http://www.ragweedforge.com/5629.jpg
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Nice set of knives Blue. Like the looks of them alot.

I am partial towards this blade and any others made by Al Mar...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

+ Reply to Thread