+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: East coast Quake!

Hybrid View

Default East coast Quake!

Felt it here in Liverpool Pa at 1:50 PM. Just a little tremble, 5.8, but haven't felt that since some time in the west. We do get little ones here of magnitude 3 or less.

building evacuated in d.c.

Hope everyone is alright.

Also one late last night in Trinidad, Co. 5.3. Continuing aftershocks today.

We had a good shaking for about 30 seconds, no damage, lots of rattling of items, drop ceiling.
    Great site for quakes
    http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

it sent a lasting rumble here in Charlottesville. rather not fun.

I am hearing that there may well be damage to the Washington Monument and the National Cathedral. Not hearing of any injuries so that is good news. A geologist on the T.V. had some interesting things to say about east coast quakes. He was saying that while eastern quakes are not normally as strong as western ones the eastern quakes energy carries much further and dissipates more slowly than the western ones due to the type of rock here in the east.

Have to do some research on that.

Hoping to hear from Amy's dad soon as they live near Petersburg VA.

Epicenter: Mineral VA...

Blog Entries

When you consider the fact that the WA Monument was built of sinking land, and had to be dug out to be reinforced I don't doubt that one day it will suffer damage from a quake. The ground is just too soft for such a tall structure.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Default From Associated Press

Jaded West Coast chuckles over East Coast quake

FILE - In this Nov. 13, 2008 file photo, school children practice their "drop, cover and hold" technique, as they participate in the "Great Southern California Shakeout" earthquake drill, based on the hypothetical scenario of a magnitude 7.8 earthquake, at the Altadena Christian Children's Center in Altadena, Calif. The reaction to the East Coast earthquake triggered mockery from the seismically active West Coast, where similar-sized quakes happen on a regular basis and rarely become a national media obsession. (AP Photo - Damian Dovarganes)
    JACOB ADELMAN

August 23, 2011 7:57 PM EDT
    LOS ANGELES (AP) ? Soon after the lunch plates stopped rattling and books stopped thumping to the floor, shaken easterners could hear another sound from Tuesday's magnitude-5.9 quake: the sound of snickering emanating from opposite side of the continent.

"East coast quake is now a 5.9. Californians yawn, shrug and go back to their iced lattes," Marcus Beer, who reviews video games for a local news broadcaster, said in a Twitter post.

All the more laughable for some were th

This is the kind of reporting that disgusts me to no end, who do these AP people think they are speaking for? AP= bunch of @##Q@ Idiots

Rant over...
    Last edited by Steve Molcsan; 08-24-2011 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Molcsan View Post
    This is the kind of reporting that disgusts me to no end, who do these AP people think they are speaking for? AP= bunch of @##Q@ Idiots

Rant over...
    Steve thanks and I agree. See we have small quakes frequently here. Enough to the point where our nuke plants have to be "Quake Resistant" as well as lots of our infrastructure being updated.

What people were afraid of here was the same thing that happened 10 years ago on 09/11/01. A series of terrorist attacks. I am guessing that the press in certain parts of the country has forgotten all about that date and the fact that we have been warned about the possibility of nuclear weapons or radiological weapons being used on places like New York, Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Norfolk, Boston,.....all of the big shipping ports on the east coast as well as the west.

Not that people on the west coast don't care but it is like the difference between learning about combat or actually living through it. They also gloss over the facts that east coast quakes tend not to dissipate as rapidly and transmit more of their force for a longer distance due to the lack of fault lines and the type of rock or crust involved.

Having spent enough time in regions prone to larger quakes I would gladly trade them a mag 6 quake for a cat 3-5 hurricane or tropical storm any day.

Even the Garden Of Eden had it's serpents.

Earthquakes are not something to snicker at no matter where they are located. It only takes enough of a shake to bring down something heavy to kill or seriously injure someone.

The last quake I was in was the Nisqually 6.8 earthquake February 28, '01. I was in the 76-story Columbia Center building in downtown Seattle when it hit. I learned one thing that day. Skyscrapers are not the best places to be in an earthquake. I have thought about this quite a lot and I have determined the best place to be during an earthquake is a helicopter.

I have not heard of any serous injuries to anyone. This is a good thing.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

+ Reply to Thread