+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about Airflo Ridge tropical line

Oh, you're absolutely correct. There are no quantum leaps forward. You can take a bamboo rod using a design from the 1800s and a silk or horsehair line and cast 100' if you're good enough. But if you can do that you can cast a Ridge line without tangling it, too. LOL THAT is the point!

They say football is a game of inches. Fly tackle is a game of a few feet when it comes to casting efficiency. And the only reason we measure it in distance is because that's the easiest way to express it in a quantifiable way. The point is to reduce the amount of work you have to do to make the cast. But that assumes you have good technique. Frankly, your line hand and proper line management is one of the most neglected aspects of fly casting technique among intermediate fly casters. Learning to use the off-hand (line hand) well is a huge part of becoming an advanced caster. And here's the kicker: the better caster you are the more you will enjoy your fly fishing because you will be able to fish in a wider variety of conditions, put flies in front of more difficult to reach fish, make all casts using less effort so you can fish longer more comfortably, and things like that.

Your perspective/opinion is completely valid for the time-pressured angler who can't spend a lot of time improving their casting skills. You do not have to be an expert caster to catch some fish and have a great time! And any typical rod, reel, and line combo will do the trick. The advanced caster can also take a sub-$100 combo and make it "sing." But it won't do for her/him what their favorite gear will. And I promise you that gear will cost more than $100 for the rod, reel, and fly line. I also promise you that the fly line will MSRP for at least $50, because if we had to give up our choice of rod, reel, or line we would all give up the reel first, rod second, and line third.

2. Default

I have been saltwater flyfishing for 15 years and have tried all major WF floaters on the market. I REALLY like the ridge lines by airflo. They are definitely my favorite. I also like the SA, RIO, Courtland lazer line in that order.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFlinger View Post
    No, as a general rule I don't overline rods (the exception was a TFO TiCr 8-wt that was so stiff I put a 9-wt line on it). I got the line as part of a purchase of a Nautilus FWX 7/8 (to put on a new BVK 8-wt rod), and the line was definitely an 8-wt. Maybe the phenomenon I'm feeling is because of the very light weight of the rod - it's only 3.2 ounces, about the weight of a traditional 5-wt. But then I put the Ridge line on my 9-wt, which is a Scott Heliply that weighs 4.5 ounces, and I still seemed to feel the resistance. Maybe it's my imagination at work.
    I use the same reel , but on a Sage XI3, 7wt, and it seems to pick up the line fine. I also have the Ridge line on a Scott HeliPly 9wt, and no problems picking up the line with that rod either. I am currently using the clear Ridge line on the 5wt XI3, and do not have any problems with it, but I will see how it does when the weather gets hot. May switch back to the SA Bonefish line, which I use for the salt.
    But now that I think about it, the Ridge lines DO seem to be a little heavier in the head section, but I sure like the way they cast!
    Last edited by RHenn; 04-05-2012 at 07:30 PM.

I have the Air Flow Ridge on my 6wt for fresh water and absolutely love it. From my understanding it helps reduce friction due to less line touching at any given moment, which should help improve ones ability to cast. From my experience it performs better in colder weather as well.

5. Default

I've been using the 40+ with a Ridge running line in the salt for quite a few years now. I always use a stripping basket and find the ridge running line to be great.
    I have a few tangles, but nothing like I experienced with SA Stream Express or the original Rio Outbound lines.
    After using the Ridge, I'll be using strictly Airflo lines as I upgrade or replace my older lines.

+ Reply to Thread