+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about Airflo Ridge tropical line

Hybrid View

Default Question about Airflo Ridge tropical line

I've been using the Airflo Ridge Tropical Bonefish/Tarpon line now for about a month, and I really like it; for me, it casts very well. Although it is advertised as "no tangles" I have had about three episodes of bad tangles (ones where I had to stop fishing and figure out how to undo the tangle), but I was not using a stripping basket at the time.

My question is this: it seems to me that the Ridge adheres to the water more firmly than other lines, so that picking up to recast requires a little more "umph" than I was used to. I have used S/A lines, Orvis, Teeny, and Rio before, and I don't think any of those lines required quite as much effort to clear the water after stripping in to recast. Is this just my imagination, or has anyone else had this experience? Or is it that the Ridge is just a bit larger and heavier in any given line weight?

Thanks.

I haven't noticed the problem you posted when using the Ridge lines, as a matter of fact, I am switching all of my lines over to these lines on both my fresh and saltwater rods. They don't seem to take any more effort to pick up from the water than the SA lines I was using, nor do they seem heavier to me, but that may just be me. I agree with you on the castability of the Ridge lines and I have less tangling with them as opposed to other lines I have used. Just a question, have you perhaps overlined the rod? Maybe the line was mis-labeled?

No, as a general rule I don't overline rods (the exception was a TFO TiCr 8-wt that was so stiff I put a 9-wt line on it). I got the line as part of a purchase of a Nautilus FWX 7/8 (to put on a new BVK 8-wt rod), and the line was definitely an 8-wt. Maybe the phenomenon I'm feeling is because of the very light weight of the rod - it's only 3.2 ounces, about the weight of a traditional 5-wt. But then I put the Ridge line on my 9-wt, which is a Scott Heliply that weighs 4.5 ounces, and I still seemed to feel the resistance. Maybe it's my imagination at work.

I don't find them harder to pick up than other lines, but I do know what your tangling issue is about. NO fly line is "tangle-free!" Airflo advertises the Ridge and other lines with their new core as non-kinking. They also tell you straight up that the core is very supple, but the polyurethane coating on the tropical saltwater Ridge lines has been hardened to keep the lines from wilting in the heat. But polyurethane lines are more supple than PVC lines, in general. If you cast a bunch of Airflo fly lines across the full range of cold water, warm water, salt water, and fresh water lines side-by-side against a bunch of similar PVC-coated lines, you will see the Airflo lines are more supple than all the PVC lines.

What you are experiencing with the tangling is actually not a problem with the line, but a deficiency in your line-handling skills. Don't be offended or get defensive. I had the same problem when I first switched to Airflo lines. You need to work on smoothing out your casting stroke, reducing the "snap" in your hauls, keeping your hauls in plane with the fly rod, and never letting go of the line with your line hand during the entire cast. If you move, do not drag the line behind you. Pick it up. If you are in surf or current, use a stripping basket. The Airflo lines are superior casting, mending, and hook-setting lines. But they will foul fairly easily. Most of all, do not yank, flop, or fling slack line to try and "toss" fouled loops apart! They tie down into good knots much better than most PVC tropical saltwater lines! I had to undo some sloppy habits, but once I got those under control my saltwater fishing really improved. Furthermore, the rest of my fishing improved some too - because I got better at managing my fly line.

The very first thing I noticed when I used an Airflo Ridge line was that I had more tangles than I ever had before. Of course my casting and line handling are not perfect. I easily had 2x more tangles with it than with any of my other lines. In my limited time for fishing, I would rather not spend it undoing knots. I try to improve my casting and line handling all the time, but I saw no advantage at all using the Ridge line over the "standard" lines I've used for years. I really enjoy getting a fly out to whatever target I choose, and not stressing about keeping my hauls in perfect plane with my rod etc... FYI I won the line in a give-away, and I'm glad I didn't spend my hard-earned $$$ on it. I haven't seen it to be superior in casting, mending, or hook setting as compared to any of my other Cortland, SA, Rio, or Cabela's lines. It's a GOOD line, but I don't see where it is significantly better than others.
    Last edited by jszymczyk; 08-26-2011 at 05:39 PM.

Well, without just coming right out and saying it before, the lines are just far more responsive. That is good when you're good and bad when you're bad. Also, polyurethane coatings are far less susceptible to the things that cause serious problems for PVC coated lines: UV light, petro-based chemicals, cold temps, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFlinger View Post
    No, as a general rule I don't overline rods (the exception was a TFO TiCr 8-wt that was so stiff I put a 9-wt line on it). I got the line as part of a purchase of a Nautilus FWX 7/8 (to put on a new BVK 8-wt rod), and the line was definitely an 8-wt. Maybe the phenomenon I'm feeling is because of the very light weight of the rod - it's only 3.2 ounces, about the weight of a traditional 5-wt. But then I put the Ridge line on my 9-wt, which is a Scott Heliply that weighs 4.5 ounces, and I still seemed to feel the resistance. Maybe it's my imagination at work.
    I use the same reel , but on a Sage XI3, 7wt, and it seems to pick up the line fine. I also have the Ridge line on a Scott HeliPly 9wt, and no problems picking up the line with that rod either. I am currently using the clear Ridge line on the 5wt XI3, and do not have any problems with it, but I will see how it does when the weather gets hot. May switch back to the SA Bonefish line, which I use for the salt.
    But now that I think about it, the Ridge lines DO seem to be a little heavier in the head section, but I sure like the way they cast!
    Last edited by RHenn; 04-05-2012 at 07:30 PM.

I have the Air Flow Ridge on my 6wt for fresh water and absolutely love it. From my understanding it helps reduce friction due to less line touching at any given moment, which should help improve ones ability to cast. From my experience it performs better in colder weather as well.

9. Default

I've been using the 40+ with a Ridge running line in the salt for quite a few years now. I always use a stripping basket and find the ridge running line to be great.
    I have a few tangles, but nothing like I experienced with SA Stream Express or the original Rio Outbound lines.
    After using the Ridge, I'll be using strictly Airflo lines as I upgrade or replace my older lines.

+ Reply to Thread