+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sage ONE

Default Sage ONE

I had a chance to cast this rod the other day and I am just curious who else has.

I have not fished it yet and the first impression in the shop was "too stiff for me." So we took it out back and played around with it and man, is it ever a wonder. Accuracy claims verified for us and the ability to shoot some fairly sick length of line is without doubt.

I cast fairly well but watching the owner of the shop cast is a whole other experience. We cast a lot of rods outside for fun at the end of the day but this one is notably a step above the other fast rods we have on the shelf.

Hopefully this weekend we will get some 20" + fish on it and see how it fights.

Overall I was really impressed, well, except the fact that it is ugly as sin. Whoever thought up that color combination was jammin in another dimension...

vmabuck,

Does the One have a stiffer tip section than the z-axis something along the lines of the XP or even the TCX?
    Trout don't speak Latin.

It has been a while since I have fished a Z-Axis so I will have to compare them, which I can do soon.

Just from memory I will say, yes, I think it does. This is what I know for sure:

• It is light, very light due to the smaller diameter that is a result of this Konnetic technology manufacturing process.
    • It has very low profile ferrules that "help direct and carry energy through the rod without sacrificing strength, critical action and feel."
    • It has "an intentionally forgiving ?sweet spot? that complements widely diverse casting styles."
    From Sage:
    Konnetic technology, the most recent and significant evolution in fly rod innovation, uses new materials combined with pioneering manufacturing methods and processes. This technology incorporates an optimized ratio of Sage?s proprietary resin to exclusive high modulus aerospace-grade carbon fiber. The latest construction methods include Sage?s Advanced Modulus Positioning System (AMPS); a process that precisely aligns and positions carbon fiber materials to exacting tolerances for the greatest blank strength delivering extremely efficient energy transfer throughout the shaft. Using Sage?s High Compression Molding process, carbon fibers are compacted for optimum density and precise alignment while simultaneously fusing the 50% lighter all-carbon fiber inner core.

They are calling it "The ONE" for a reason. I will have to fish it to see if it can compare to my Scott G2 when it comes to landing fish. That G2 sticks to fish like glue.

Once they are on they stay on...
    Last edited by vmabuck; 08-22-2011 at 05:55 PM.

So all I could get was a Scott S4 8' 6" 4wt to compare it with. So it was the Sage ONE 9' 4wt that I compared it with. It felt lighter than the 8' 6" Scott and the tip did not seem to have as much flex but still, somehow, it felt like a softer action.

I thought I would have a chance to fish one sooner than later but it looks like I will have to wait until they come out on proform...

*edit*

I did not have a chance to compare it to the Z-Axis. I do not own one and the shop sold out of those about 3 days after they dropped the price...
    Last edited by vmabuck; 08-23-2011 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vmabuck View Post
    So all I could get was a Scott S4 8' 6" 4wt to compare it with. So it was the Sage ONE 9' 4wt that I compared it with. It felt lighter than the 8' 6" Scott and the tip did not seem to have as much flex but still, somehow, it felt like a softer action.

I thought I would have a chance to fish one sooner than later but it looks like I will have to wait until they come out on proform...

*edit*

I did not have a chance to compare it to the Z-Axis. I do not own one and the shop sold out of those about 3 days after they dropped the price...
    Thanks for the update.

Do you see 4wt One being a good dry fly rod or good for fishing tailwaters? I have a 4 wt ZXL that does a great job, but when the wind whips up it can be a bit of a challenge to place the fly where I would like it. I have a 4 wt in the z-axis, but would prefer something a bit stiffer at the tip.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I can't wait for saturday, ... some friends got a hold of a Sage One (and 24 other rods and identical reels and lines) and we're goning to do an 8wt Shootout!!!

More in a bit!!!
    Christopher Chin

Thumbs up

Hey Chris haven't seen you post in a while or maybe I am not lurking on he forums you have been visiting. Anyway, can't wait to read your report on the 8 wt shootout.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneFly View Post
    Do you see 4wt One being a good dry fly rod or good for fishing tailwaters? I have a 4 wt ZXL that does a great job, but when the wind whips up it can be a bit of a challenge to place the fly where I would like it. I have a 4 wt in the z-axis, but would prefer something a bit stiffer at the tip.
    I wish we had more than an 8 wt left in Z-Axis in the shop. Those rods were gone once they were discounted. This Saturday I will be fishing a 9' 4wt Z-Axis so I will be more refreshed on the Z-Axis since I do not fish that particular rod much.

The ONE will be punchier than the ZXL without a doubt. I think the 4wt will be an excellent dry fly rod in substantial winds. The lateral movement of the rod is stiffer as well with their Konnetic tech process. Maybe a better term is it tracks better throughout the cast. It is crazy accurate!

I am reaching here without having cast the Z-Axis in so long; but I am saying the ONE is between the Z-Axis action and the TCX action. Still not as stiff as the TCX but a little more punchy than the Z-Axis. And as I think about what I just said I ask myself "When was the last time you picked up a TCX?" Well, it has been a while but that rod is a freaking cannon.

If the ONE is anywhere near my G2 when it comes to keeping the fish on then I think I am sold...
    Last edited by vmabuck; 08-26-2011 at 04:48 PM.

Looking forward to the reports.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Question

Hey guys, how about an update? How did your tryouts go?
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread