+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the Difference?

Default What's the Difference?

I've seen some very interesting 'things' described as flies and was wondering,
    How would you define, or better yet, can you describe the difference between a 'fly' and a 'lure'. Is it the way it is: 1)Cast; 2)Fished; 3)The size of the hook; 4)The shape of the hook; 5)The shape of the 'thing'; 6)The materials used to tye the 'thing'; 7)A combination of some of the avove; Something else, a)by itself or, b) in addition to some of the above?

I've read something somewhere about this but don't recall where or what was written.

Allan
    Last edited by Allan; 08-21-2011 at 11:34 PM.

maybe the question should be "Does it matter"?

Regards,
    Scott

Blog Entries

Allan,

That is a question that has gotten me into many long and heavy debates: When is a 'fly' a spinning lure. It actually does matter, especially on waters that are fly fishing only, then you have to make sure that the object you are casting falls within the specifications of a fly and not a spinning type lure. You can't just say it only matters as to the rod you cast with, since you could put a bass Jitterbug lure on a heavy fly rod and sort of cast with it. or a Mepps Spinner that has some feathers tied to its hook.

It will be interesting to see what others have to say about this topic, if they want to wade in and toss out their opinions.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Blog Entries

If you can cast it with a fly rod, it's a fly. If it won't cast because it is too heavy, it's a lure, and meant for conventional fishing.

All flies are lures. Period. On the other hand, not all lures are flies.

On all "Flies Only Water" there is some definition of what constitutes a legal lure/fly that may be used. Some are pretty broad.

fishbum

I will have to think about this more, but right now, I agree with Larry (sagefisher). This could be discussed from now to eternity and I do not feel the outcome would be any different than it was in the beginning. It boils down to the person using the fly/lure on what they call it. There are some "flies" that (my opinion only) I feel could be called "lures". A Pistol Pete is one of them. I am not sure there is an answer to this question, but, in "flies only" water, you better do your homework and make sure you understand what that particular "flies only" rules are or you could be fined.

Overall, I think it is a question that can never be answered to everyone's acceptance, but, just opens up a large discussion that could get "nasty" and I am glad this discussion is on FAOL because when or if it starts to get "nasty", our administrators will put a stop to it.

Now I will sit back and watch the action.....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

There have been times when I was using a flyrod flatfish or a #00 spinner wtih a treble hook that I knew I was fishing a lure just as I know I am fishing a fly when I tie on an adams or a fox squirrel nymph. Unless I'm fishing flies only water I don't worry too much about the things on the borderline. I understand that C.O.s on the Pere Marquette at one time were calling a Clouser minnow a jig. I don't know if they still are but it seems to be accepted as a fly by most people these days. Similarly some of the flies being made with dremel tools seem very similar to the flyrod flatfish. I'm not sure why they wouldn't be a fly if the surface bugs made from the same material are. Does it become a fly if I add a long tail and call it a floater/diver? Or if I spin deer hair and trim it to the same shape? if it's the presence of the dangling treble hooks that makes a lure rather than a fly then tube flies become lures. I guess I'll just fish what I like tying or fishing wherever it's legal.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Blog Entries

I found this definition of a "fly" in one of the Missouri State trout park:

In waters designated fly fishing only, a fly shall be constructed on a single point hook of feathers, tinsel, chenille, yarn, fur, silk, rayon or nylon thread or floss, with or without a spinner.

Quote Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
    If you can cast it with a fly rod, it's a fly. If it won't cast because it is too heavy, it's a lure, and meant for conventional fishing.
    I can cast most rapalas with my 14 weight, but that still doesn't make them a fly. Game and fish departments that have coverage of 'fly fishing only' waters are always engaged in debates as to what constitutes a fly, and therefore it can change form year to year, water to water, and state to state, and invention to invention.

My 27" trolling fly is identical to my 12" casting fly af far as the tie goes. It's just a deceiver pattern. If I had a 30wt, I could cast it, too. It's a trolling fly, not a casting fly, so is it a lure?

Lures and flies are both artificial baits. As was mentioned, flies are lures, but lures are not flies. The blending of parts of lures and parts of flies makes for debates and opinions vary as to how far one can go. It's an individual thing until a G&F officer stops you and says you're out of bounds with that lure in flyfishing water. Another point, is a glue-gun egg a fly? No thread or materials- just a gob of hard glue. Any different from a lure? Tie a piece of white marabou to a multiple glue-gun egg cluster...is it now a fly?

This debate, along with traditional vs new, natural vs synthetic, dry vs wet, bamboo vs graphite, bobbers vs natural drifting, will go on and on as long as flyfishers have opinions. The only times it will matter is if you catch a record or are fishing in a restricted area. (Maybe a few other times) The records board will decide about the fly and the methods used to catch it. The G&F Officer will decide about the fly (lure) in his fly-fishing only waters.

Is this a fly or a lure? 14/0 zonker for sailfish:

BlackZonker2.jpg

To me , in terms of fly fishing , a "fly" is something that tries to recreate something like an insect that natrually occurs in nature. A "lure" is designed just to look like something good to eat to a fish even if theres nothing close to its shape or color present in the water. Like an Adams vs. a Stimulator. Just my two cents

+ Reply to Thread