+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wet wading...Yes or No?

Default Wet wading...Yes or No?

Here in Ohio, it's been a very hot summer & many are wet wading. Hot as it may be, I am NOT one of those. As a kid (50-55 years ago) I did, but no more. In my opinion, there are just too many potential hazards, including bacteria & debris to take that chance. I guess I look at it like carrying a wading staff or wearing a good hat....It only takes ONE time of needing that protection & not having it available to result in illness, injury, or possibly even death.
    Just curious as to others practices.
    Another interesting side of this is how many years you have fished (ANY type fishing) along with your opinion about wet wading.
    I have avidly fished for over 55 years..wet wading?..No.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I have fished for over 55 years, but have fly fished for only about a dozen years. I fish moving waters exclusively and they never get warm in Colorado.

I have a strong preference for wet wading whenever that is an option. I wear nylon pants, wading boots, and heavy synthetic socks to wet wade. I'm in no danger of cuts or punctures, and the cold water does not bother me at all. It feels a lot more natural and I avoid the hassles of putting on and taking off waders or hippers. Hiking in and out becomes no problem. Wet wading in hopper season is a true joy!

When there is snow on the banks I wear hippers or waders.

I live in Indiana so share the same warm water weather as Ohio. I'm closing in on 60 so I agree with Ohiotuber. Wet wading is for kids. Scrambling over rocks, fence rolls, and sunken corn cultivators (for real) requires as much protection as possible. I refer you to the fellow member who contracted giardia by simply touching his mouth after releasing a fish. (And, I'm not interested in messing with brown water snakes while wearing shorts...)

I wet wade whenever feasable in moving waters. I don't go wet in my tube in warmwater haunts....too many critters.

Mike I have fished over 56 years. Started fly fishing when I was 15. And I still wet wade the local rivers. Even though I have breathable waders, it is still too hot to wear them. I seldom wet wade in shorts but prefer to wear quick drying nylon fishing pants. I also have a pair of Hodgman canvas lug sole wading boots that I wear.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I'm 40 (still a kid). I grew up on a slow, muddy river and have been fishing with my family since before I can remember. I started fly fishing in my mid 20s. I wet fish all the time for trout and a lot of the time for bass. I just can't seem to stay out of the water. It drives my dad crazy because he has to get wet to keep up. I wear shorts and usually go barefoot in the cool, fast waters. I might throw on a pair of sneakers if I plan on mucking in warmer waters. Might wear jeans if there are a lot of leaches or other stuff. I try to be careful about getting stuck in mud but it happens. I have lost a few sneakers but otherwise have stayed out of trouble.

I wet wade when the air temperature is above 90. When I do wet wade I don't wade as agressively. I don't wade in ponds I will usually have a kayak under me.

I usually stream fish for trout in the fall through early summer so waders are appropriate. Occationally I need a trout fix in summer but I can not wear waders when it is 106.

Quote Originally Posted by billhouk View Post
    I live in Indiana so share the same warm water weather as Ohio. I'm closing in on 60 so I agree with Ohiotuber. Wet wading is for kids. Scrambling over rocks, fence rolls, and sunken corn cultivators (for real) requires as much protection as possible. I refer you to the fellow member who contracted giardia by simply touching his mouth after releasing a fish. (And, I'm not interested in messing with brown water snakes while wearing shorts...)
    I'm only 48, but all of this right down to the location!
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

Brown Watersnakes? EEEwwww. Bacteria? No thanks. Thank the Maker I live in CA where the waters I fish are cleaner than that. When the temp gets hot, wet wading is the only way to fish...keeps me a lot cooler than "breathable" waders. I wear wading boots with neoprene booties under. I wade just as agressively, maybe moreso, as I don't have to worry about the water slopping over the wader tops. The only change I sometimes make is to leave the vest at home, wear a fishing shirt and put a box of flies in the pocket.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Most of my wading is done in northern Illinois. Just about every river that I fish has water treatment plants that output treated water into the rivers. Some rivers have cows that like to wade in the rivers. I know a couple of people that have picked up skin infections after wading in these rivers. Consequently, I wear waders when I fish these rivers because it is not worth the risk of getting an infection. In hot weather, I wear waist high waders. In clean north woods rivers or on trout streams, I will wet wade.

+ Reply to Thread