+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried the Cabela's glass rods yet?

Default Anyone tried the Cabela's glass rods yet?

Apparently- according to a store salesman- these are only going to be sold this year. Has anyone cast or fish one? Don't want to buy without some input.

Chuck

I have the 5/6 wt. Well made for the price - better than I expected. Casts pretty well too. Action seems faster than most glass rods I have cast but still slower than most graphite. It casts 4,5,6,7, and 8wt lines well depend on the size of fly and distance you are casting. For most fishing, I use a 6wt line. As a bluegill and light bass rod. Several people that I have shown the rod to have gone and purchased one.

One nit is that the opening on the hood on the reel set is fairly narrow. Most reels with a machined reel foot fit just fine. Many reels with cast reel feet do not fit. My Medalist 1494 does not fit well. Nor my Orvis Battenkill Disc reels. However an old Ocean City No 36 fits fine and that is what I use on the rod.

I am fishing the 5/6 weight and am pleased with it. It is 7'6" and is capable of putting out a lot of fly line. If you like glass you will like it. It doesn't have the but of my old Wonderrod but is easier to cast. It doesn't handle the big smallies like my old one but I'm enjoying the fight of every fish a little more.

If you are interested cabelas will let you take the rod out and lawn cast it. I wouldn't have purchased mine without trying it out and I'm glad I did because the lighter rod wouldn't have worked for my kind of fishing. I put that one together and handed it right back as there wasn't much to it.

It's a very nice rod for the price and the case it comes in is just a bonus.

I have the 5'9" 3/4 weight. The overall workmanship of the rod is much better than I had expected at the price. I've tried it with several different 3 and 4 wt lines and have settled on a DT4. It's very easy to overpower this rod so you really need to slow it down and let the rod do all the work. People who like fast action, tip flex rods won't enjoy this one.
    Dan S
    "I still don't know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel." Roderick Haig-Brown, A River Never Sleeps

Grizz- how would you compare the action to cane?

Chuck

Chuck-441

I have a couple of cane 3 wts, one made by Joe Arguello and one by Steve Kiley. Both are superior to the glass. The problem I have with the 3 wt glass is that its way too easy to overpower and you wind up with the tip bouncing, particularly lined with a 3 wt line. With my cane rods, I don't even have to think about the cast, but so far with the glass I really have to concentrate. That may change as I spend more time with it. I'm taking it into some high mountain lakes (10,000' plus) next weekend out of Yosemite chasing some Golden Trout. I'll let you know more when I get back.
    Dan S
    "I still don't know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel." Roderick Haig-Brown, A River Never Sleeps

I just ordered the 3 weight Medalist combo. It is back ordered until November!

Kind of confusing cuz their catalog says the combo is rod/reel/line, while their website says it is rod & reel. I made a point of ordering via the catalog number and it did include a Cortland Sylk line in addition to the rod and a Medalist reel. The combo price was $139. I was kind of surprised to see that S&H brought the total up to $159 as Cabela's usually doesn't add a high S&H. But, if the rod is as good as the reviews say, that will still be a bargain. Just wish I could have received it before our small stream dry fly season is over for this year. I'm hitting the age where even buying a green banana is a bit of a risk!

Eponite, baby! It's no Steffen Bros but you will not find a better glass rod at $99 new anywhere.

I got a 4 wt Medalist combo back in the Spring, Casts great and handled the big Gills and small Bass with no problems. Fixin to try it on some Trouts in the mornig!!

Quote Originally Posted by MrFishingToughGuy View Post
    Eponite, baby! It's no Steffen Bros but you will not find a better glass rod at $99 new anywhere.
    What? Where?

Chuck

+ Reply to Thread