+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soft hackles

Default Soft hackles

I was sitting down and tying some soft hackles because they are some of the best looking flies to me and i dont have barely any in my boxes. Well i see how the collar on most of the flies i have seen stands up and the barbs curve back slightly. But for the life of me i cannot get my hackle to do that. It either sweeps back or stands up but curves the opposite way. I try to keep the feather from twisting backwards but it happens a whole lot more than it doesnt. What are some things to help with these problems.
    CD

Try lashing the hackle down (prior to winding) by its tip rather than by the stem butt.

Soft hackle flies often include a "bump" of something to wrap the hackle against. Such as a bead, a thread lump, chenille, etc.

Both of the above recommendations together! I like a chunky little dubbed thorax on my trout-size soft hackles. I've noticed since I started tying feathers in by the tip, they look MUCH better! Make sure as you're wrapping, you sweep the fibers back as well. That will keep them from flipping forward.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

When wrapping the hackle on , be sure that you keep the outside (convex) side of the feather facing forward.

Maybe this will help. It is from the "Intermediate Fly Tying" section on the main page here on FAOL that Al Campbell created. It is in the tying instructions for "Wet Flies" and is the second pattern he shows how to tie which is the Caddis Pupa. Hopefully, I have copied it correctly and it shows up here:

4. Select a grouse feather and strip the fuzz from the bottom of the feather. Next, fold the fibers of the feather back against the grain of the feather as shown. Tie in at the tip of the feather as shown. Trim the excess feather at the eye of the hook.

5. As you wrap the hackle, use your fingers to fold and pull the feather's fibers toward the bend of the hook so that only the shaft of the feather is near the hook eye.

6. When you finish wrapping the hackle, tie it off and wrap the thread over the front of the hackle to give it that swept look.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Thanks for the help, i will try these suggestions and post some pictures of the before and after flies.
    CD

Here is a link to Davie MacPhail's Channel, have a look at this on Stewart's Spider.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DavieMcP...30/uV7k3epJfJY

You will find a lot of patterns, if you troll through them you should find a lot of advice on hackling.
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

His painting is something else as well! Very nice, is that his "day job"? As always, thanks for giving us access to such neat stuff.
    Hugs,
    LF

I'd highly recommend watching Davie whether you need help with hackling or not. He is an incredible tyer!
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

+ Reply to Thread