+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Steelheaders?

Quote Originally Posted by MrFishingToughGuy View Post
    So you really do mean steelhead, not those overgrown-bass-pond-great-lakes steelbows... j/k Kerry. hope your GR trip gets you some hopped up chrome! looks like a decent year for returns, if a couple weeks later than usual with higher, cooler flows due to snowpack.
    As long as the guys fishing the big lakes are enjoying themselves chasing those fish, they can call them anything they want.

Gawd, I am looking forward to the Ronde this year. There is absolutely nothing that beats seeing a steelhead do the jaws surface attack on a skated Lemire steelhead caddis. I need to feel the tug. We are making our trip one week later this year because of the higher flows.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Steelhead on dries. One thing ive never done.

Quote Originally Posted by Twism86 View Post
    Steelhead on dries. One thing ive never done.
    You see the water bulge behind your skated fly and you know a steelhead is tracking it with one thing on its mind, kill it. Your heart rate increases and your hands start to shake. You cannot stop the shake. You unconsciously hold your breath and tell yourself to wait, wait, wait. Then the surface around your fly explodes into a thousand droplets of water each reflecting the sunlight back into your eyes which have become larger then, dare I say it, saucers. Still you try to hold back but everything in your body and mind screams "SET THE HOOK!" You can no longer resist the urge to lift your rod and DAMN, to quick. You have missed another steelhead because of your unrestrained exhilaration. Your mentor's words now circle within your brain; "Bow to the fish. Bow to the fish as you would an audience. Give them the respect they deserve."

Gawd, I can't wait.
    Last edited by Kerry Stratton; 08-17-2011 at 07:43 PM. Reason: fixed quotes
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Quote Originally Posted by Twism86 View Post
    Ive never made it to the Erie tribs. Its a big of a haul from where I am and there are plenty in NY i still need to explore. One day Ill get out there im sure.
    Living where you are situated in NY there's probably very little reason to fish the Erie Tribs IMHO. I'm in Pittsburgh, so it's a solid option for me @ only a 2 hour drive. Although I have not fished the NY Tribs, I'm familiar with the Salmon River crowds. Probably not quite that crowded in Erie, but they sure do get plenty of pressure. If I were you, I'd focus on the NY tribs, I think you have plenty of good opportunities there to be honest. Not that you wouldn't be welcome in of course

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stratton View Post
    You see the water bulge behind your skated fly and you know a steelhead is tracking it with one thing on its mind, kill it. Your heart rate increases and your hands start to shake. You cannot stop the shake. You unconsciously hold your breath and tell yourself to wait, wait, wait. Then the surface around your fly explodes into a thousand droplets of water each reflecting the sunlight back into your eyes which have become larger then, dare I say it, saucers. Still you try to hold back but everything in your body and mind screams "SET THE HOOK!" You can no longer resist the urge to lift your rod and DAMN, to quick. You have missed another steelhead because of your unrestrained exhilaration. Your mentor's words now circle within your brain; "Bow to the fish. Bow to the fish as you would an audience. Give them the respect they deserve."

Gawd, I can't wait.
    Ive been looking at some youtube vids on the topic. They all say, wait for the fish to turn before setting the hook.....

Quote Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
    Living where you are situated in NY there's probably very little reason to fish the Erie Tribs IMHO. I'm in Pittsburgh, so it's a solid option for me @ only a 2 hour drive. Although I have not fished the NY Tribs, I'm familiar with the Salmon River crowds. Probably not quite that crowded in Erie, but they sure do get plenty of pressure. If I were you, I'd focus on the NY tribs, I think you have plenty of good opportunities there to be honest. Not that you wouldn't be welcome in of course
    Yea the crowds can be crazy, more so during salmon season. If you avoid the popular spots, go on weekdays you can get plenty of room though.

Over the last few seasons my preference has been Ontario tributaries. Erie streams are fun, and the numbers can be insane, but maybe it's just sentimental fishing my teenage stomping grounds. I never did get rid of that bug, my to my wife's dismay.

Right now I wish I was out west fishing a waker down in Mack's at daybreak. I landed one wild hen in '07 doing just that, and on the road back out one of those dagger stones got me a nice flat tire. A small price to pay...

I live in WNY and fish the Erie and Ontario tribs all the time. I fish the SR at least a few times every season. It's definitely precip. dependent. The big difference is, that even at lower flows (like drought years) it still has a decent flow, unlike the the spate streams of Lake Erie.

The SR is still absolutely dependent on rain for flows. I recall September of 2007 and a flow of 162 cfs @ pineville, pretty freaking dismal. And what about this spring when the reservoir filled up with so much rain that she was belching well past 6k!?!?!?
    Marty, that was the year it was at 90cfs at Brookfield! I'd never seen it that low before. It was nice to see a lot of spots that are normally under water. Pretty easy wading too! lol. Last years flood was amazing! Salmon swimming through fields, parking lots...people's basements. lol.

Philbert,

YO! Yes, that was the year of tears flowing out of Brookfield. I'll tell you what, Dan and I are slated for a November/December run up there again this year (but he wants to swing flies for steelhead like you are supposed tew), so why don't you come down here for the annual albie trip in late October? I know, I know, it could really hurt your reputation as creekmaster while you're out of town, but good lord it's fun! Already have the trip booked and you can split it with me and Dan. Plus you can meet the baby.

Last season's flood on the SR had kings swimming in MY front yard, are you kidding? I can taste the lead in the air at Altmar now. It won't be long.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFishingToughGuy View Post
    I can taste the lead in the air at Altmar now. It won't be long.
    Haha, bombs away!

+ Reply to Thread