+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Steelheaders?

Hybrid View

Default Any Steelheaders?

I havent posted here in a while but figured I would ask if anyone on these forums is into fishing for steelhead?

I live on the east coast, in upstate NY so that basically means Im going to be fishing Lake Ontario tribs. I was introduced to it 2 years ago in the Salmon River in NY and have been hooked. So since the season is coming shortly I wanted to see who else might be from this side of the US who goes up there.

I do most of my steelheading on the SR itself but like a few other smaller tribs and rivers. The SR being a tailwater gets the most consistent push of fish IMO since its not dependent on rain for flows to bring the fish in. I would love for one day to hit some of the steelie rivers in the western US and Canada.

Tom

I don't consider myself a hard core steelheader, but I chase them maybe 15-20 days a year on the Lake Superior tribs. Good fun and a lot of it is when there isn't a lot of other oportunities around.

The SR is still absolutely dependent on rain for flows. I recall September of 2007 and a flow of 162 cfs @ pineville, pretty freaking dismal. And what about this spring when the reservoir filled up with so much rain that she was belching well past 6k!?!?!?

Having fished it for some time, I really enjoy the SR, since it provides so much great swing water and the returns have been incredible the past few years. Noticing more and more browns, plus those atlantics - neither of which hurts the fishery. Grew up in Rochester, went to college outside of Syracuse and wasted a lot of my life fishing western basin to east side tribs. Looking forward to plenty more until we head out to OR for good.

Of last Sept when the river hit 17K!! Yes, still dependent on rain, but if the reservoir gets full early the season should be good.

I know whatcha mean. I really like it best between 750 and 1000 but hey, you take what you can get. Any flow once the salmon circus dies down does just fine by me.

Yea im not into the Salmon circus. Ill go up once or twice early when they are around but only if I know there are some steel to be had as well. I agree with you on the flows, as a shore fishermen 750-1200 is sweet.

I pusue the Lake Ontario and Erie tribs for Chromers in the fall. My favorite stream is the Cat, and Erie Trib.
    Max

Ive never made it to the Erie tribs. Its a big of a haul from where I am and there are plenty in NY i still need to explore. One day Ill get out there im sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Twism86 View Post
    Ive never made it to the Erie tribs. Its a big of a haul from where I am and there are plenty in NY i still need to explore. One day Ill get out there im sure.
    Living where you are situated in NY there's probably very little reason to fish the Erie Tribs IMHO. I'm in Pittsburgh, so it's a solid option for me @ only a 2 hour drive. Although I have not fished the NY Tribs, I'm familiar with the Salmon River crowds. Probably not quite that crowded in Erie, but they sure do get plenty of pressure. If I were you, I'd focus on the NY tribs, I think you have plenty of good opportunities there to be honest. Not that you wouldn't be welcome in of course

Quote Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
    Living where you are situated in NY there's probably very little reason to fish the Erie Tribs IMHO. I'm in Pittsburgh, so it's a solid option for me @ only a 2 hour drive. Although I have not fished the NY Tribs, I'm familiar with the Salmon River crowds. Probably not quite that crowded in Erie, but they sure do get plenty of pressure. If I were you, I'd focus on the NY tribs, I think you have plenty of good opportunities there to be honest. Not that you wouldn't be welcome in of course
    Yea the crowds can be crazy, more so during salmon season. If you avoid the popular spots, go on weekdays you can get plenty of room though.

+ Reply to Thread