+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dye question

Hybrid View

Default Dye question

Some closed-cell foams that cannot be colored with traditional dyes can be re-colored with permanent marking pens. But it's a pain.

Most such marking pens consist of a tubular plastic barrel filled with a fibrous wick, that has been soaked in a colored, solvent-like liquid.

If you could buy bottles of those solvent or alcohol-like colors, it would (in many cases) be a lot more convenient to dip an entire foam chunk into a bottle of the same liquid. Those colors must be available. Marking pen manufacturers use them. What are they? Where can I get them?

Having spent a good many years going through manufacturing facilities owned by large companies I know many of the things they use to manufacture their products are formulated to their specifications, visocity, color, solvent base, etc., and available only to them. Sometimes they do it in house and only they know what is in it. When you use 1000's of gallons of the stuff you can afford to do that. The link below may be as close as you can get, I suspect it will be of a fairly heavy visocity and messy to deal with in small qualities.

http://nationalstencil.com/stencilinks.html
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

You could also consider one of the alcohol-based wood dyes like this. http://www.woodcraft.com/Search2/Sea...ry=dyes&page=3 Theere are a ton of different colors/shades and they are very concentrated, so you add the amount of dyd you want to the alcohol to get the colors you want. I have some of this for the woodworking I do. I will give it a try and tell you how it turns out.

Jim Smith

+ Reply to Thread