+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flipper question

I have two pair of Outcast fins with keepers $20 pair. Never used.
    flyfishn
    flyfishing@clear.net

I think I have a pair of Paddle Pushers (like new) that are too narrow for my heel. I wear a size 9 EE & a size 10 wading boot. I plan on working on & organizing my gear this weekend & once I find 'em, I'll measure across the heel & let you know.
    PM me if interested. The price?......nothin'...btw, they work well for what you say you need.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

The reason you see Paddle Pushers on Ebay all the time is because people are getting rid of them. They are junk! I tried a pair years ago and only used them twice. The theory is that you can paddle forward with them, but you can't cover any distance, and they will make your legs cramp something awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigmaster View Post
    The reason you see Paddle Pushers on Ebay all the time is because people are getting rid of them. They are junk! I tried a pair years ago and only used them twice. The theory is that you can paddle forward with them, but you can't cover any distance, and they will make your legs cramp something awful.

Tell us how you really feel Gig...LOL Seriously, I have "heard" the same thing. Never wanted to find out for myself.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

What happens is that they put an unnatural adductive, and abductive strain on your thigh muscles. They are not designed for that much lateral stress. With regular swim fins, your quadriceps muscles are making the same movements, and subject to the same stresses as if you were swimming, only the fins increase your efficiency for the same amount of effort. With Pedal Pushers, your quadriceps are making the same moves as when walking, but instead of the stresses being up and down, they are fore and aft. These muscles are not designed to work that way. It's like walking into a 200 mph wind, except you cannot lean forward into it. You can do it for a little while, but it will eventually become too painful.

Both times when I used these, I was all but incapacitated the next few days from cramps in my sartorius, and biceps femoris. I doubt if I covered more than 2 miles on either trip.

Actually, I even got rid of my belly boats in favor of kayaks. Belly Boats are great if you are going to fish within 100 yards or so of where you walk in, but any further than that just wasn't practical, even with Rocket Fins. I couldn't even maintain contact with a school of sand (white) bass from a belly boat...too slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    Tell us how you really feel Gig...LOL Seriously, I have "heard" the same thing. Never wanted to find out for myself.

Fins will do a lot more and be easier on your body then these things,. But you know what you want. Give us a report after a couple trips on the water if you do buy some.

Outdoor Pride in Oklahoma has a product that does about the same thing differently. It attaches at knee and ankle. there is a cloth that goes over front of leg that expands as leg goes backward and collapses as leg goes forward. I haven't tried it but it costs 10 dollars so....

+ Reply to Thread