+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Michigan Newbie

Default Michigan Newbie

I finally took possession of my new house in Michigan and it looks as if Monday will be my first chance to fish somewhere in the area (N Muskegon - Whitehall). I'm really psyched and eager to learn the trout waters both near and far. It'd be neat to meet some FAOL members on the stream this summer.

Bob

So Bob, you are no longer an Evenstonian? You abandoned culture for the company of the unwashed??

Mark

Hurrah for you and your new home! Look forward to meeting you at the Michigan Fish-In.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Marco,

I'll be moving to Michigan gradually for the next couple of years. I think culture is something that you take with you because is resides inside and doesn't depend on a place. You'll have to come visit.

LadyFisher,

I'll be there!

Bob

Bob;
    Glad to hear you've moved to God's Country!
    You will not regret it! For info on the area hook up with "rainbowchaser", he's from your neck of the woods and a great flyfisher!
    Marco is to be forgiven as are all "Flatlanders" and we will allow him to fish some "Real" rivers.
    We had a good time on the Little Manistee this past opening day!!

------------------
    Don't forget the Michigan Fish-In August 14th to the 20th. The Holy Water's of the Au Sable await you!!

Cactus

I don't know much about Chess but I think Michigan should be right up your alley for your other interests. Great grouse and woodcock hunting just north of you and us eastern Michiganders are envious of your choices of salmon / steelhead runs.
    Jeff

N. Muskegon and Whitehall...

Check out the White River. It's one of my favorites. It does take awhile to get to know it, so be patient with it. It's a bit shy as rivers go. Lots of canoes during high "T" (tourist season). I'd be happy to meet up sometime this summer for a day on the White. Maybe we could persuade Rainbowchaser to join us.

The wadable bits of the Muskegon can be a blast.

Come a bit farther north and your choices become very numerous indeed.

Some culture tips: Learn to play euchre. Know how to use your hand as a map. Below the bridge we are trolls, above the bridge are da yoopers. If someone offers you a road apple on Mackinac Island, it's best to politely decline.

Mike
    Cadillac, MI

You are in good company. There probably is a reason Ernest Hemingway from Illinois spent his youth fishing in Michigan. Welcome to the home of the Big Two Hearted River. Jonezee.

Thank you all. I'm starting to feel at home already!

Bob

There should still be steelhead in the
    white below Hesperia and in the Muskegon below Croton dam Monday. The Muskegon can be very difficult wading at this time of year. If you prefer smaller waters try the
    white above White Cloud or the North branch of the White (Steelhead here also). I envy you being able to fish on a weekday when the river should be less crowded than I've become used to. E-mail me if you need directions to acces sites on any local waters or information on probable hatches.

------------------
    all leaders tangle; mine are just better at it than most. Jim
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

+ Reply to Thread