+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best Steelhead Method/ Line, Leader and Tippet set- up

Default Best Steelhead Method/ Line, Leader and Tippet set- up

I am curious to know what everyone's preferred line (brand and model), leader legnth and size (I.e., 4 x) that uses or would use with a 9 ft 7 wt for steelhead fishing in waters generally around 500 Cfs? Specifically during the fall and winter months at the Salmon River in Northern New York.

I have heard multiple opinions of using floating, intermediate, and sinking line. To me a sinking line seems too much in this water condition. Wouldn't a floating line with a polyleader suffice if you wanted to get on the bottom? Also, what about a shooting line with shooting heads? Would this be appropriate at these water levels?

I'm thinking on overloading my rod with an 8 wt wf floating line and nymPhing with a 7 ft 4x (depending on the nymph size). While shooting streamers and wetflies, I then plan on converting to a polyleader- again depending on the depth and speed of the water.

Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike
    Last edited by Mbrigano; 08-09-2011 at 11:46 PM.
    Mike Brigano
    Utica NY

Mike,

I confess to not being a expert on steelhead but I am passionate about fishing for them when I get the opportunity. I have no direct experience with the rivers of Northern New York but I've fished a number of the Lake Erie Tribs in both Ohio and PA. My preferred set up is a 7wt floating line. My favorite is the Rio Nymph Taper. I prefer 9 ' fluorocarbon leaders and don't generally fish anything lighter than a 3X and more often a 2X. I've been know to go as light as 4X but only in very low and clear stream conditions.

I keep a few sink tips I've made up in various lengths for special conditions, like a particularly deep hole or run that's holding fish but using these are the rare exception and not the norm.

Hope this helps as a starting point. I'm sure others have some thoughts on this and I look forward to seeing their posts on the subject. Good Luck and Tight Lines!
    Joe Bertolini

At 500cfs a you can use poly leaders of various densities. Late fall / winter Steelheading you Have to use lines,leaders and tackle that wil keep your fly on or near the bottom & get down there before the cast is fished out. The more cfs the denser/heavier your line or poly leader.

I guess there are few steelheaders.
    Mike Brigano
    Utica NY

Blog Entries

I did not repond earlier because you indicated you were going to the great lakes area, and my steelheading has all been west coast.

That being said, I caught way more steelies nymphing than any other method, by far, but I have caught them on everything from dry BWOs to streamers to deer hair mice,a nd rod wts from 1 to 8. I would advise a new steelheader nymphing on the waters I used to fish to use a 9' 7wt, floating line, indicator, 7'6" 3x leader to a bug stonefly nymph, ~30" 4x dropper to a glo bug. I would advise a well-seasoned flyfisher to do the same thing but use a 5wt unless the water is high or the fish are over 10#.

+ Reply to Thread