Yall have been giving me a lot to try out, this is very helpful. But a few clarifications...

When I go fishing it's a relatively small river water about 2-3' deep. I would be open to trying multiple flies ( I have tried a hopper dropper, just not multiple nymphs) but would shallow water prohibit me from using this method effectively?

Many times when I fish with any kind of wieght my casts become very ackward as the flies bounce around at the end of my line in the air, usually resulting in a misplaced cast, discouragement, and ulitmately switching to a new fly. Any advice on how to manage my casting?

Most of you have recomended drifting "longer" and I understand the concept. But...
I have heard this makes setting the hook more difficult because you are upstream of the fish and essential pulling the hook out of its mouth. And....
Could you be more specific on the tecnique of swinging the fly towards the surface at the end of your drift to imitate the nymph rising, or "being alive" as was mentioned erlier.

I hope this clarifies my situation so you can help me more specifically,
Thanks