+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: L2L Connector (3M)

Default L2L Connector (3M)

The other day I was cursing up a storm trying to properly tie a nail knot. After a half dozen or so attempts I finally tied it right. I got to thinking there has to be a simplier and better way to join to pieces of line. I remember reading about 3M L2L Connectors. Can anyone comment on the pros and cons of the product?

Thanks!
    Trout don't speak Latin.

TyroneFly;
    I've received some of the new 3M Reconnects and will be field testing them this weekend.
    I've used the L2L connectors but not enough to comment.

------------------
    Don't forget the Michigan Fish-In August 14th to the 20th. The Holy Water's of the Au Sable await you!!

Cactus

I had the same problem with tying a nail knot. What I did was I took a length (6-8 inches) of dacron backing. I doubled it over and tied it onto the end of the fly line with a nail knot(its really easy with dacron and its the last time you will need to do it) so it formed a strong loop. No I just tie a perfection loop in any leader I get and make it "shake hands" with the other loop.

I can sympathize. I've changed to a uni-knot for the line-to-leader connection, and so far I've no complaints. I will say that occasionally, I have to re-tie because the thing doesn't work right. However, I've landed chum salmon to 18 pounds or so without a knot failure.

Having said that, I used the SA L2L reconnect yesterday and it is extremely easy, and it seemed foolproof, a necessity in my boat. For what I'm doing, it's pretty slick.

Keith

I know this will come as a big surprise to many of you, but we do sometimes 'test stuff'.

I know it is a lot of work, at least 3 clicks to look for stuff; so much easier to let others 'click' for you.
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/prorevw/linetoleader.html:a2f28]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/prorevw/linetoleader.html[/url:a2f28]

or just give up... [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/knots/castwell.html:a2f28]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/knots/castwell.html[/url:a2f28]

[This message has been edited by J Castwell (edited 25 April 2006).]

My concern when I say these wasn't so much would they work, but how well would they hold up. Durability, isn't so much an issue I suppose with the nominal price tag, but what about under pressure from a fish?

------------------
    dead fish don't make reel music

J Castwell

Your Castwell Knot - as a sailor I have used that knot but had learned from old sailors that you had to keep it under tension or have a long tag end. Are you saying you still use this knot where you have a loop tied in the tapered mono leader and tie the Castwell Knot with the end of a modern fly line. It does not come loose when relaxed?
    dB
    Sanitize your FF equipment and wash your boat, trailer, livewells & sumps. Wash your wading dog

We've both been using it for over 30 years, never come 'loose' or undone. Not ever.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Hi:

You will do yourself a great service by learning to tie the knot. Fishing is about knots and that one (nail) is easy to do if you have a little tool to help you. Someday you'll learn to usa a whip finisher and at first you will think that was hard...then too that also shall pass. A life of L2L will only limit you in the long run.

Migs

Of course it comes loose. I am rich and tie on a new leader on every cast; doesn't everyone? Whatever you do, don't try to learn anything, just challange it all to show how sharp you are. I just put that knot in there as a joke to see if anyone would be stupid enough to even try it. Good for you! Only ten years on here and I just got found out.

Use a double-granny,,, will hold your fly line and boat every time.

+ Reply to Thread