+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Apple hacker talks about Apple security

Hybrid View

Default Apple hacker talks about Apple security

Apple and Mac users probably won't like this article but the guy says what many in the computer business have known for a long time and they (the Apple fans) would never believe.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/mobile/...ss_igoogle_cnn
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

I'll still stick with my Mac, four years and still no viruses.

The point of the post isn't to get you to dump your mac. It is to enlighten you to the fact that your mac is no more secure than any other system.

I have been using window based systems since their beginning and have been a network administrator of some large window based networks with hundreds of systems for over 15 years. Some with mac based cleint systems. I have never had a virus on any of my personal systems and only one made it into one of my networks. Even then the virus was isolated and removed in short order. To the best of my knowledge none of my networks have been compromised by a hacker. It is a matter of acknowledging that a threat exist and taking the appropriate precautions.
    Last edited by Kerry Stratton; 08-05-2011 at 09:56 PM.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

My wife has a MacBook and while I ,on occasion, sink into foul(er) language territory with my PC, she/her's just keeps on clickin. The ONLY drawback is that when she asks me for help, I HAVE NO CLUE.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Molcsan View Post
    All windows based systems suck wind....

Popcorn anyone...
    Steve, I think someone has hacked your account.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Molcsan View Post
    All windows based systems suck wind....

Popcorn anyone...
    Mine don't and they will make "apple sauce" out of your Mac.

Mac systems have a significant number of vulnerabilities, they are just not as well known to the public since Apple systems are not targeted as much as Windows systems. The number of Mac targets is much smaller than Windows so they do not as yet attract as much attention from hackers or virus creators. A few years ago one of the bright engineers that works on my team demonstrated how he could easily crack into Mac systems via the web and take control of the computer or install software. That particular vulnerability has since been closed but there are others. There is a reason why Apple issues operating system updates. These fix security vulnerabilities as well as bugs. A significant part of my job responsibility involves securing critical computer systems and networks. We treat Mac's just like Windows, Unix, and Linnux based in terms of protecting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    Mine don't and they will make "apple sauce" out of your Mac.
    Eric,

After I read this I went to the grocery store and bought a jar of apple sauce. Oh my God it is so yummy. I haven't had any in years! Thanks for the subtle hint!
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stratton View Post
    The point of the post isn't to get you to dump your mac. It is to enlighten you to the fact that your mac is no more secure than any other system.

I have been using window based systems since their beginning and have been a network administrator of some large window based networks with hundreds of systems for over 15 years. Some with mac based cleint systems. I have never had a virus on any of my personal systems and only one made it into one of my networks. Even then the virus was isolated and removed in short order. To the best of my knowledge none of my networks have been compromised by a hacker. It is a matter of acknowledging that a threat exist and taking the appropriate precautions.
    No offense taken. I am aware that there is a possibility that a Mac can be hacked but to the hackers there are so few out there that it's not worth the effort. Now with the new books and pads that will most likely change in the future.

It took the guy seven months to crack the code, that is a long time. Now if a group of hackers got together that time would be much less I would imagine.

The other thing is you are a techy and you have all of the tools to keep hackers at arms length, while most folks whether they are PC or Mac users do not have the expertize to combat them. Most folks like me barely know how to turn the things on.

+ Reply to Thread