+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which fish tastes best?

Quote Originally Posted by Lotech View Post
    Grilled fresh Tuna was pretty good too.
    I had some grilled tuna in a Japanese resturant once and would do that again in a second. It was grilled on a deal like an hibachi but bigger and home made by the chef. Wonderful stuff.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

I am off to Rarotonga in a couple of days, I will be eating lots of fish! Tuna, Wahoo, Mahimahi and Marlin are all good Grilled, but even better is the "Raw" fish in coconut milk and lime juice, can hardly wait! Oh yes and Trader Jacks on the waterfront in Town does the best Palmerston Parrot Fish Sandwich, fantastic with a frosty glass of beer.
    As for fresh water fish, at least where I fish the Rainbows always seem to taste better than the Browns.
    All the best.
    Mike

Blog Entries

Burbot and lake whitefish from deep cold water. The Burbot up here feed on Kokanee and are awesome eating. I also love cold water Kokanee. Halibut that is fresh and hasn't sat in the fridge overnight is my personal favorite. If we are counting sea food non-fish I really love octopus done right. ( pounded thin , marinated in red wine overnight and fried in tarragon & butter and other stuff. ) Monkfish although probably the worlds most ugly fish are right up there on my list of favorites. Sea cucumber boiled and rinsed thrice throwing out the water each time is an interesting feed , not my favorite but unique in taste. Sea urchin eggs made me barf big time. I don't like lobster but love shrimp and prawns, go figure.

I loves dungeness crabs boiled in a big cast iron pot on the shore in fresh seawater and served warm , yum.

Not fond of Bass, mountain whitefish, or peamouth chub. ( Yes I have cooked and eaten a chub )

I like black sea bass from the north pacific and red snapper too.

I have never even seen a Walleye and really would like to catch and eat one. Pike in cold water are good eatin.

The high mountain lake rainbows around here are mostly a deep red meat , I eschew the pale fleshed ones , sluffing them off on my inlaws.

Any fish caught should be chilled and cleaned immediately. The very worst thing you can do to a fish is to toss it uncleaned in a plastic bag with a bit of water. In minutes it loses almost all its flavor and goes mushy. ( why on earth people do that totally escapes me. )

Worse fish I ever tried to eat was a 10 lb squawfish ( northern pike minnow ) but it smelt to high heaven and even the cat wouldn't eat it.

Best eating local fish are Kokanee, Lake whitefish, Burbot and cold water carp. Yes I said Carp.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Blog Entries

We eat a LOT of fish and have gotten abit snobbish, probably... In freshwater lake trout and burbot are the only ones I would put any effort into catching... Sea run dolly varden and Cutts are very good, also, but you can keep the rest of them. I have eaten lots of walleye, really fresh and in a lot of different ways... Best thing you can say about it is it is mild... Tasteless is a more truthful way to put it.

Someone mentioned orange roughy and that is incredible fish!

Black cod, yelloweye rockfish, black rockfish, lingcod, red salmon, silver salmon, king salmon, and even cod and pollock are outstanding. Include salmon shark, mako too, and the good tunas... Halibut is good, but does not come close to the top of my list...
    art

Neither my wife nor I care for the flavor of any of the salmonids. And yes, we've tried them cooked in about every way known to man. Just don't like them. I do have a fondness for:

Bluegill
    crappie
    walleye
    largmouth bass if cooked the way we like it
    canned carp

The wife loves catfish but they aren't very high on my list unless it's a flathead

Gnu Bee Flyer,
    Got to agree on the sea urchin eggs..... don't even look apitizing. One of very few things I turned down in my life despite some ferverent urging many years ago in France!!

Fish and chips is the way to go, although I like fishsticks too! LOL!! Never tried burbot, but would like to!

Best regards, Dave S.

Cobia
    Walleye
    Crappie

Tuna sashimi (raw)
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Halibut and smoked nova salmon....otherwise not much of a fish eater. The late JC loved fried perch and when we were at Gates Lodge he had them every night, plus for lunch if we were out and about.

Definately Brookies, and here in VT we have lots of them. But if given a choice:

1 - Crappie
    2 - Walleye
    3 - Catfish
    4 - Bluegill
    5 - Northern Pike (cleaned correctly they are excellent)

+ Reply to Thread