+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The heat is miserable!!!!!

Hybrid View

Default The heat is miserable!!!!!

Maybe this will help to cool off.

Or maybe this.

JULY 25, 2011
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Betty,

That sure is pretty country. May I ask where that is?
    Trout don't speak Latin.

They're both from the Medicine Bow Range/Snowy Mountains in south east Wyoming ... just west of Laramie. Had a snow pack of 197% of normal this year, so snow this year will fall on last years snow. Most of the campgrounds remain closed behind huge drifts.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I know you guys in the Midwest are getting blasted right now, my wife's sister called today from Dennison, TX talking about the oppressive heat there. But I do my absolute best not to complain about heat, I dislike cold weather so much I try not to complain no matter how hot it gets. That's one reason I have only lived as far north as Memphis. That said one of the things like like best about the area between Atlanta - Charlotte and Nashville is the moderate weather we tend to get here. We do get hot and we do get cold but extremes are fairly rare, we are way overdue for a major frozen precip event the last was March 1993.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Here is an image of Lake solitude in Teton National Park, from July 26, 2010 on the left, and july 29th, 2011 on the right.

Huge difference!

Mind you, last year, Tetons also received a heavy dose of snow... so it's not like this was from a drought year in comparison.

Paul
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

Not nice Betty............I am just jealous.
    "Next to a healthy 10 pound carp a brook trout can look like a minnow in a clown suit"

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    They're both from the Medicine Bow Range/Snowy Mountains in south east Wyoming ... just west of Laramie. Had a snow pack of 197% of normal this year, so snow this year will fall on last years snow. Most of the campgrounds remain closed behind huge drifts.
    Well, if Wyoming is getting the same heat that we are in Louisiana and Texas, their camp grounds will be open very, very soon.

Well, this week in Rock Springs we have had high 80's to mid 90's with some afternoon and early morning rains to help keep it cool. Totals of maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch for the week so you can understand what I mean buy some rain, actuallly quite a bit for us. The mountains haven't reached much above the 60's if that above the 9000 ft range according to two young cousins who backpack there alot. So, I guess it is safe to say we aren't getting the high heat that you poor folk are getting, as both my daughters are telling me. One lives in El Paso TX and the other in South Central Nebraska and they do keep us informed about the heat. My wife and I really don't handle above 80 very well at all. We have a spare bedroom if you are looking for a little cooler place for a couple of days.
    Last edited by Byron Zuehlsdorff; 08-03-2011 at 02:06 PM.
    Wyo-Blizzard

Hey Betty,
    I recall that lake just below Medicine Bow Peak on the right side of the road ( as you
    're heading from Centennial). Stopped there many a time to tease the brookies ( 4"-6"). Oh, the memories! And, just a few down the road is Saratoga and the South Platte , mmmmmmmmmmm

Mark
    Last edited by Marco; 08-03-2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Afterthought

10,300 feet in the Winds, three weeks ago. Maybe got up to 60 during the day. 20's overnight. Definitely a wonderful respite from the muggy heat.
    DSC_0206.jpg

+ Reply to Thread