+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PB Bass

Default PB Bass

So I am stalking koi you-know-where and I see a group of 5 of them in a circle, all facing the center. I have a large wooly bugger on, and I noticed some activity earlier that may have been crayfish. So I figure I'll let it sink in the middle of the koi and drag it along the ground, hopefully creating that little puff of dirt that could entice one of the fine koi specimens to bite. Before it even hits the ground, boom! The line takes off. Im thinking, other than the koi, I havent caught or seen anything over a pound. Could this be the lone common? Just as I was thinking that, wham! The thing thinks its a marlin and jumps straight out of the water, crashing to the surface. Its a lunker of a bass. I finally land it, and my scale read: 6 pounds (although it can run a few ounces high). A new PB from a place where I had only caught really really tiny bluegill sized bass. I was alone so it was quite a challange to get a picture. Three girls were walking by and their like "that fish is f-in huge!" and I'm like "your damn right it is..." Here are the best pics I could get:

Well Anthony,

Looks to me like you have taken a pre-spawn LM. It certainly doesn't look good lying on the ground like that. I certainly could be wrong.

Steve (Rookie)
    Steve

I was alone. Taking a picture was a bit of a challange. I dont see how that thing is going to spawn. Its the only bass that looks mature to me. They others are like 6 OZ

Anthony,

I know this was a record for you and is an excellent size for most fisherman.

Every now and then, we have difficult decisions to make as fisherman. You answered one of your own questions. If there were other bass around, where do you think they came from?

Some of our most thrilling moments in fishing come when we are alone, no camera, and no one to attest to our catch. That what makes fish stories.

Steve
    Steve

I just dont understand... I HEAVILY fish this pond and i have cauight many bass on many lures, none over the 1 pound mark. I hope there are more, but it is such a small pond

Hey Anthony,

Very nice fish. Way to go buddy!
    But I can't believe you didn't get one of
    the girls to hold it while you took the
    picture. What an icebreaker.*G* I
    certainly can't fault you for taking the
    bass. Others may choose to release it.
    Their option entirely. But fishing is a
    blood sport and keeping a legal fish is
    your option and you don't need to justify
    it to anyone. Warm regards, Jim

Woah... Who said I didnt release it? I put it on the soft grass for like 3 seconds while I took a pic, and then I carefully released it to live another day,taking care to move it back and forth to get the oxygen through its gills. I always C&R.

I definetly want this fish back in the pond so me and my friends can catch it again. I have taken a special interest in this pond. It is pretty much never fished except by me and my friends, so I try to keep the fish populations strong by carefully releaseing each and every fish.

[This message has been edited by Anthony (edited 01 May 2006).]

Jim,

Not asking Anthony to justify his keeping or releasing the fish. The state I live in won't allow the keeping of bass until after June 15, for the protection of the spawn. States surrounding mine are even more protective in stating you can't fish for bass until after June 15, or even have lures primarly used for catching bass with you while you are fishing.

Like I said, Nice Fish!

Steve
    Steve

I dont even give it a second thought, It is an instict tatooed on my brain: fight, unhook, and toss back in.

I dont eat fish, so I have no reason to keep them.

Hi Rookie,

"Like I said, Nice Fish!"

No, you didn't say that. That was my
    response. If you had, I would not have
    responded as I did. A young fly fisherman
    comes in, asks questions, pays attention,
    go's out and catches a personal trophy. I
    think a pat on the back is in order.*G*
    Warm regards, Jim

+ Reply to Thread