+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The ironic side of catch and release.

Default The ironic side of catch and release.

I relize most people practice this to some point, and that also many of us still kill trout and other fish to eat.

I was given a hard time about a trout I had killed a few years back. Then it struck me.

Sure I killed the trout, but that was nothing compared to the 5 animals that were killed to make the fly.

2 different roosters, a beaver, a moose and a deer.

Crying over one fish, but not the 5 animals that gave there life so I could catch the fish.

Just kinda ironic to me.......nothing meant.

I'm sure they all died of natural causes.
    Bill

Sure Bill, it's natural to die after getting smacked over the head with a sledgehammer.

------------------
    Ed Mercado
    [url=http://www.mercconsulting.com:32fff]http://www.mercconsulting.com[/url:32fff]
    Web Design for the Treasure Coast.

Cut it out! You're giveing the whacko's amunition.

------------------
    In life, as in fly fishing, don't get in over your waders.

Pulling a trigger feels pretty natural to some people; so it must be a natural cause, cause it felt natural.

Too bad it is not so easy to run up to a 1000lb moose and just rip out a few pieces of hair and then just run for your dear life afterwards or not have to worry about getting split in two by the razor teeth of the beaver!

Chances are that all the animals killed did not go to waste. The same can be said for most guys who kill their fish, I know not all. I try to release all my fish but every once and a while I will keep one for the dinner table. There are some places where the management is based on guys keeping their fish or the balance gets out of wack. This weekend I went ice fishing up in ME. One of the lakes that I was fishing the Inland fisheries department wanted guys to keep their smaller lake trout to try and bump up the population of trophy sized fish because there were stunting issues.

The same holds true for deer. Their populations are usually too high and need to be kept in check. So you might as well eat them for supper and use their hide for other uses.

It is pretty funny though how people have preferences for one animal or plant over another.

------------------
    Who has time for stress when there are fish to catch.
    Nick

[This message has been edited by Micropteris (edited 10 March 2005).]
    Your hooks sharp????

Fishcreek,

First of all, almost every fly fisher I know or whose posts I've read here and elsewhere, has nothing against 'Catch & Kill' as long as it's done LEGALLY.

Additionally, of the other animals you mention, perhaps the roosters were the only animals, "killed to make the fly". Your comment that a beaver, moose or deer was killed and that they gave their lives for the purpose of tying flies is about as intelligent as saying an Angus beef steer was killed to make dog food.

You killed a trout to eat. If you did that in a 'kill' zone, good for you and hope you enjoyed the meal. If you took that trout in a 'no-kill' zone, hope you choked on a bone.

Allan

tyflies,

Dang, no reason to get upset. Apparently you are better at confrontations on the internet than in person. That is the only rational explaination I can make, considering your "Rant" post in the Sound off forum.

If you can't appreciate the "tongue in cheek" approach of this post, then ah well.

I know for a fact the deer was eaten, I ate him, same with the moose. The beaver was trapped, and his hide used for fly tying, and his carcass used to bait my wolf traps.

I have no idea about the 2 roosters, but I do know their widows have used the inheritance for billboards that say "Eat more Beef."

For whatever that is worth to you.

Just remember from the chickens perspective the egg is a donation while the fried chicken dinner is a total commitment. Hmmmmmm. It helps to put your pointing finger to your chin when one goes Hmmmmmm.

Fish creek,

Those who throw stones ...

Those who are supporting a "cause", should really look in the mirror sometimes... [url=http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=512baaa6-efdd-4334-a7c6-65c7a2053adb:f696e]http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=512baaa6-efdd-4334-a7c6-65c7a2053adb[/url:f696e]

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/:f696e]http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/[/url:f696e]
    Christopher Chin

I thought this was an interesting rule at a lake I was researching....they will even kick you out .....

"Important! Please keep everything that you catch, even the little ones. No matter how careful you are in releasing them they always die even though they swam away just fine. Persons caught releasing fish will be asked to leave and will forfeit their catch and permits. This does not cover sturgeon and smallmouth which have special Dept. of Fish and Game Regulations"

+ Reply to Thread