+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The ironic side of catch and release.

Fishcreek............Kudos !

fishcreek,

"I know for a fact the deer was eaten, I ate him, same with the moose. The beaver was trapped, and his hide used for fly tying, and his carcass used to bait my wolf traps."

You just proved my point. Thanks you.

Allan

The upshot is that there are two reasons most people who practice C&R do it:

1) To renew the resource. We don't want to ruin the supply of fish we want to catch for sport.
    2) Because they believe the fish that they pursue has some sort of inherent nobility. This second reason is not too disimilar from cultural practices that differentiate horses from cows. One is okay to kill for use, the other is not. Like all distinctions of this type, this is a very affective argument. Almost all Americans are repulsed at the killing of horses for food because of the many associations we have with horses, but at the end of the day it is mostly cultural convention--and that's okay.

I've heard reports (but never seen) folks who practice strict C&R for trout, for instance, but throw whitefish or other less desired species on the bank. I doubt this is widespread.

If trout and other gamefish could be plentiful with Catch & Kill, there would be a lot less C&R.

The irony, and the question that many of us grapple with, lies in the fact that man may choose to be a spectator in nature or a predator, but he can't be both at the same time.

These days, catch-and-release has been raised to a universal, all-embracing moral principle which perverts fishing from a predatory act into an artistic act. In so doing, it distorts the even more important perception of man's role in nature. It conveys the treacherous impression that one can be in nature and not effect nature. Worse still, it pretends that such involvement is the moral ideal.

Whew... glad to get that off my chest.

I practice C&R because i want to catch the fish again, and again. i caught a fish 6 times one summer it had a tag with a number on it thats how i know it was the same fish.

------------------
    make a rod, catch a fish

6 times in one year; that fish must need a dentist by now
    Your hooks sharp????

If you tazer the Moose you can technically call that shooting and releasing....

Just clip the hair you need and smack 'im on the rump and away he goes...

Save our critters! This is precisely why I tie only with 100% synthetic Materials 50% of the time

Pick One:

Save our Oil reserves-Tie Natural

Save Our Critters-Tie Synthetics

Rich

Just think about all the rocks and bacteria we destroy smelting steel for hooks. The sad part is that the rocks never grow back.

------------------
    Who has time for stress when there are fish to catch.
    Nick
    Your hooks sharp????

Micropteris,bought that fish a set of false teeth. lol lip hooked,,named him old stump,,because he lived under a stump.

------------------
    make a rod, catch a fish

+ Reply to Thread