+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What I like about fishing

Default What I like about fishing

I like catching a big fish in the salt after months in the hills.
    I like catching brookies in the hills after time in the salt.
    I like long casts, all about power and distance.
    I like those casts that are finessed with just the right amount of english on it.
    I like the bobber (oops I mean float indicator) sliding down the riffles and into a pool.
    I like the dry fly droopping gently on the water not making a single ripple.
    And then I enjoy that slow rise and the open mouth of a nice fish inhaling my fly.
    Its fun catching a big trout in home waters
    Its fun catching native brookies 6" long on some long forgotten stream that was never stocked.
    I like the noise of a reel zinging as some fish pulls yards and yards of line.
    I like fishing new waters and home waters.
    Bringing in a fish and letting it go.
    Bringing in a fish and not letting it go, then releasing it into a hot fry pan with butter bubbling up. Then watching it curl from the heat and then lay out again when I heat up the other side.
    There is somethign special about fishing as you watch the sun rise. And fishing as you watch the sun set.
    I enjoy standing in cold water or standing in the surf working to hold your place as you hunt for fish.
    I love sitting in a boat, roaming around looking for working birds or any other sign of fish.
    I enjoy the feel of bamboo delivering a dry fly with the most gentle of actions. Its poetry in motion.

What floats your boat?

jed

That is very well thought out and written Jed. I have not experienced some of the things mentioned but think I would enjoyed them as well as the ones I have had the pleasure of experiencing.

In addition, I enjoy fishing with old friends and will new friends but especially the guys I have known for years and have shared many laughs and sorrows with. I enjoy gently floating down the Chattahoochee River on a hot summer day and letting the 50 degree water take away the effects of the 90 degree air. I don't know if airborne trout are more fun than chunky bass who can't quite launch their bulk free of the water, how do they compare to the bulldog pull of a channel cat or a large grass carp. What was more fun than about 10 straight doubles on popper-dropper on a good bream bed? How do you measure fun?
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

You're my kind of guy, Jed.

"What I like about fishing" (especially TROUT fishing) is that it is NEVER done in UGLY places. AND it is for THAT reason, although I don't get to fish much, that I pursue "God's favorite fish"

Mark

Gods favorite fish IS the Bluegill LOLOLOLOL
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

Speaking to trout:

I like the anticipation of getting up early and heading out to fish one of my favorite waters.
    I like pouring myself a good cup of coffee and enjoying a country ham sandwich before rigging up.
    I like the walk down the railroad tracks to my favorite stretch, enjoying all the early morning signals of the season.
    I like sitting and observing the water and trying to figure out what fly to tie on.
    I like the feel of my bamboo rod working out line and laying out a good cast.
    I like the hookup with a wild brown trout, especially if I can see it coming assuredly.
    I like the rush and calm of the river.
    I like seeing woodducks, beaver, mink, and other wild creatures that are unaware I see them.
    I like being a small part of nature, if only for a short time.
    I even like the walk back to the truck and the drive home, as I can still vividly recall all of the wonder I've experienced that day!
    I truly love fly fishing for trout.

Heading out early in the morning. Hope I can get a good night sleep.I know I will Sunday!
    Last edited by bobbyg; 07-29-2011 at 11:09 PM.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Uncle Jesse
    I would add watching the wake of a lunker bass come racing towards your fly
    and
    the mightly lunge of a Pike as it attempts to destroy your fly.

Each fish and each fishing experience has it own special rewards. Sort of why we like to fish.

jed

I like the lingering taste of bacon and coffee in the morning, as I set out for a day's adventure.
    I like the ring of the rise when it appears beneath the early morning fog as it lifts slowly above a gentle pool.
    I like the smell of wet cedar as the morning sun works to dry the trees.
    I like the site of spider webs bejeweled with dew, while sunlight is busy spangling prisms of color through the droplets.
    I like sitting around the campfire in the evening with friends. Listening to the reminiscence of the days adventures and feeling the aches and pains of my muscles and bones caused by the day's adventures melting away evermore with each story told.
    I like to share these things with my friends.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I like to share these things with my friends.

You just did Joe, and I just enjoyed each thought..

Thanks
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Molcsan View Post

You just did Joe, and I just enjoyed each thought..

Thanks
    One day Steve. The Lord willing, one day.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

+ Reply to Thread