Ive had a few boats, so I would start by asking myself a few ?'s
Does the lake you want to fish have a ramp, or primative launch only? If no ramp you have to think pontoon, kayak, or some other easily carried type.
Does North Carolina require registration of boats if you have a motor (Va does even if it is electric)? This means annual fees, and it will probably show up on your personal property tax bill also. They definately cross reference boat registration and personal property returns in Va. It also would not hurt to pick up a boat liability policy at $50/yr.
Do you have a place to store a boat and or trailer? My nucanoe is on the wall on its side in my garage, out of the way til its time to play. Kayaks, pontoons, etc also ez to store.
Will you ever use the boat elsewhere, other lakes, rivers, etc? Get something versatile enough to do more than one type of fishing if you do that.
Will you be with a buddy or by yourself most of the time? If by yourself, you want to get something one person can handle.

Jon boats are fun if you dont mind the trailer, and you can usually pick up something cheap. Get a semi-v hull for lake fishing, unless wind/waves never are an issue. If you get a gas motor, trust me, get a four stroke. Way less noise, gas consumption, pollution, and rebuilt carburetors.

Probably you have already thought of all this, some of it is kinda obvious. I have learned the easier a boat is to use, the more it gets used.