+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suggestions for a small fishin boat

Hybrid View

Default Suggestions for a small fishin boat

Considering a small boat to fish a clearwater mountain lake here in North Carolina.
    The lake only covers a little over 150 acres but offers excellent fly rodding for smallmouth,
    largemouth, bluegills, and some really big redbreasts.

10hp maximum, big enough for two fisherman and all their gear.
    Would prefer swivel seats in lieu of bench seating.
    Anything out there like that? I'm totally ignorant when it comes to boats.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

I have and would recommend that you try out a NuCanoe in the 12' length and purchase the swivel seat bases. I have the 10' model due to I am usually by myself but I do have 2 swivel seat bases and have had 2 people in mine and no problems. If you can find a dealer close to you that would let you demo one, it would be great. Our local fly shop here has demos and will even do the shuttle for you if you want to float the river and fish. The 10' NuCanoe weighs around 60 pounds and the 12' around 80 pounds. Very stable and with a double bladed paddle it glides over the water very easily. There are many other smaller boats out there, but, I really like the NuCanoe. It fits perfect in the back of my Frontier and they even have a transportation cart which is a set of wheels that slip into a hole in the transom and you just pick up the front of the boat and row it to the water and to your vehicle.

Check out: www.nucanoe.com

They also have videos on their Web site so that you can see the NuCanoe in action.

I am sure you will get other suggestions to check out.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

If you want to use a motor, I would suggest a 13 or 15 foot Gheenoe. They are a little on the expenseive side, but have great resale value.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Ive had a few boats, so I would start by asking myself a few ?'s
    Does the lake you want to fish have a ramp, or primative launch only? If no ramp you have to think pontoon, kayak, or some other easily carried type.
    Does North Carolina require registration of boats if you have a motor (Va does even if it is electric)? This means annual fees, and it will probably show up on your personal property tax bill also. They definately cross reference boat registration and personal property returns in Va. It also would not hurt to pick up a boat liability policy at $50/yr.
    Do you have a place to store a boat and or trailer? My nucanoe is on the wall on its side in my garage, out of the way til its time to play. Kayaks, pontoons, etc also ez to store.
    Will you ever use the boat elsewhere, other lakes, rivers, etc? Get something versatile enough to do more than one type of fishing if you do that.
    Will you be with a buddy or by yourself most of the time? If by yourself, you want to get something one person can handle.

Jon boats are fun if you dont mind the trailer, and you can usually pick up something cheap. Get a semi-v hull for lake fishing, unless wind/waves never are an issue. If you get a gas motor, trust me, get a four stroke. Way less noise, gas consumption, pollution, and rebuilt carburetors.

Probably you have already thought of all this, some of it is kinda obvious. I have learned the easier a boat is to use, the more it gets used.
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

Thanks for the suggestions and things to consider.

I appreciate it.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

You can fish 150 arce lake very easily with oars or paddles and not deal with motors. Beside fly fishing let alone 2 in a boat can be tough so.

+ Reply to Thread