+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is my line sinking?

Default Why is my line sinking?

Excuse the Newbie for another ignorant post. As my finals come to a close, I have stepped up my casting practice in preperation for actually catching fish!
    anyone my question: I noticed today that (my cheap SA begginers outfit's) flyline is sinking in the first foot or so of the tip. Of course this makes it extremely difficult to cast for someone like me. Why is it sinking (i have my leader tied with a blood knot because for the life of me I couldnt figure out how to tie a nail knot!)
    Thanks

When you figure out how and why a boat floats,,,your mystery will be solved.

I think what JC is refering to has something to do with weight and mass.

This is common. Very common. In days of yore fisherfolk would grease their lines. I use furled leaders and I coat them will silicone. THere are several products that might help your line float.

------------------
    "Give me ambiguity or give me something else"

How about cleaning your line as a good place to start? If you have been practicing your casting the line is probably dirty. Most lines will slowly sink if they are dirty. I use a soft cloth wetted then rubbed on a bar of Ivory hand soap. Then wiped down with a damp soapless cloth (to remove any soap). I am sure that there many folks who would have other methods for line cleaning. This method works for me. If a good cleaning doesn't solve the problem try a little floatant.
    Hope this helps.
    xfishcop Dick

What kind of leader? What kind of fly line (weight forward?). What is on the end of the leader, something that sinks?

Typically, the thin tip of the fly line is not as bouyant as parts that have thicker coating. I have no knowledge on this, but I've heard that some fly line tips float better than others. Also, the leader can contribute to dragging it down. Fluorocarbon leaders sink, nylon tends to float (close to neutral bouyancy, I think). I often use Orvis Hy-Flote leaders to help.

Rawfish,

The comments about the line being dirty are sure enough true. A clean dressed line floats better than a dirty line.

I noticed you said you tied your leader to your fly line using a blood knot. That may be creating a bit of mass in a small spot causing your line to sink, or the current could be exerting a lot of pressure on the larger knot, causing your line to sink.

If your having trouble with a nail knot check out the knot tying section on this site, or switch to another system such as a braided loop connection. Of all the braided loops I've tried, I like Orvis or Rio the best.

Hope this helps.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

rawfish:

Besides all the excellent advice already given, especially cleaning; I have recently started to seal the ends of my fly lines to prevent water from wicking into the cut end. If you coat the "Blood Knot" you used to secure your leader to fly line with Pliobond or UV Knot Sense you will create a smoother junction as well as a waterproof one.

IMHO It really does help.

I have found that by just cleaning your line in Ivory soap, rinse well and dry, the line will float unless there are other issues with the line itself.

I am not a big fan of line dressing. I have seen it collect dirt which causes the tip to sink.

Ron

A nail knot produces several turns of mono in one place over a single length of fly line and is managable. A blood knot will have several wraps of each in one place and is not. The weight vs mass ratio is dangerously violated. Sinking is imminent; surface tension being broken, it sinks. The use of a knot which does not place multiple coils of fly line in one confined area should correct the problem.

+ Reply to Thread