Thread: Inventor of No-Hackle Flies

Threaded View

Blog Entries

Default Inventor of No-Hackle Flies

Hi,

I sometimes think that Doug Swisher and Carl Richards do not get the credit they deserve. I think most of us credit Mike Lawson for the "no-hackle" fly (He perhaps made them most popular); and others with the Comparadun - perhaps even Craig Mathews (although he replaced split tails with a Zelon "shuck" to form the Sparkle Dun).

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Swisher and Richards deserve a lot of the credit for popular flies sans hackle. Before I get blasted, I should note that Fran Betters is credited with having invented the "haystack" which preceded the comparadun. Or, should the credit be given to Caucci and Nastasi as most writers do - their book "Hatches" was published in 1970? I have seen a photo of a fly tied by Swisher which purports to have been his pattern as early as the mid-60's and the fly looks like the comparadun except that it used split deer hair for the tails.

What Doug Swisher himself says about the origin of the comparadun:

I’m constantly being asked about the history of fly patterns so I thought I’d use this part of the website to cover some of the more important milestones, most of which happened in the late ‘60’s and early ‘70’s. Even though there are many more books being written nowadays, most of the original ideas were spawned 30 to 40 years ago. The year 1965 seemed to kick everything off'

The first No-Hackle Fly -- 1965
    Swisher & Richards -- AuSable River
    Hair Wing --Split Tails
    Between 1965 and 1966, the tails were made of hair or hackle fibers, either clumped or split with thread and the wings were made of hair or hen hackle fibers, either clumped or spread from waterline to waterline. Carl and I simply called it a Hairwing or Henfiber No-Hackle. Years later, someone else “re-invented” it and called it a Comparadun.

This is a duck wing No Hackle Doug tied.

Last edited by Byron haugh; 07-27-2011 at 02:03 AM.