I was fishing on a small stream up in the Sierras, approx. 7,000 foot elevation, about 6:30 p.m. yesterday, and looked down just as I crossed over a small channel. I saw what looked like a piece of wood on the water moving downstream past me. It was about as big as my hand more or less. I ignored it and started to get ready to cast into the adjacent creek. Then I heard an odd flapping sound and looked down again. The sound was coming from the wood, which apparently wasn't wood and wasn't a bird but was flapping on its sides. It was flat, dark brown and almost black in color and not a frog. It moved across the water and seemed to be faster than the current. It was something I'd never seen before. I went through all of my books trying to identify it. My Hatch Matcher Pocket Guide mentioned a sculpin and the matching flies. My Orvis stream book had a photo of it. Otherwise nothing else mentioning it by name. The sculpin seems to live in trout streams and is not uncommon. But...
Why is this the first time I saw this little creature? I've fished that creek for over 10 years and never saw anything like it before.
Any input would be appreciated as now I'm fascinated by the sculpin. Will I see it again?