Thread: Peak vise modification

Threaded View

Default Peak vise modification

My new Peak vise lacked some features that I liked on my Danvise so I added them. All parts were bought at Ace Hardware for less than $5. I added a crank handle to make the vise easier to rotate. Parts are: a 1/4 inch collar, a 1 inch stainless screw with an Allen screw head, and a 3/4 inch nylon spacer. I drilled and tapped the collar for the ss screw. You could just remove the set screw from the collar and buy a ss screw to fit the set screw hole. This makes the vice easier to rotate when adding body material etc. Adding ribbing with perfect spacing is easy by holding the ribbing at an angle while rotating the vise.
    Next I added a 3/8 collar to the vise shaft to prevent the shaft from dropping all the way through the base and possibly scratching the table. I sometimes like to rotate the vise 90 degrees vertically so the vise is facing me. I could just rotate base and all but found this awkward. The only other option is to loosen the set screw at the base which meant finding the allen wrench and fumbling around. I attatched the allen wrench permanatly to the set screw with epoxy making it easy to loosen and tighten the set screw. If you do this, make sure the wrench handle is at a near vertical angle when tight before you glue it in place The last thing I added was a profile plate by drilling a hole in the base and adding a wire to hold the profile plate. The plate is a piece of corrugated plastic sheet. (real estate sign). Hope this helps someone. The attatched photo should make it self explainatory I Hope.
    Attached Images Attached Images